1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Are you willing to pay for top-quality care for the 400-pound stranger with diabetes who eats fast food every meal of the day? That's the real test, as it's easy to say the people we know deserve the best care.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a note that although The Last Hurrah is over, TCM will be showing All the President's Men, The Best Man and The Candidate tonight.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Another one coming up on TCM is Joe...Peter Boyle stars from 1970. I haven't seen this in 25 years but if I remember it correctly it is relevant during this election. Friday morning at 1:15 CST.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding question. My answer is, "Yes," because in my little Utopian world, the perfect healthcare system would encourage preventative care and make it accessible. But even absent that, my answer is "Yes." I think people whose political positions I find repugnant should be allowed to vote; therefore I believe that people whose health maintenance skills are challenged should have access to affordable quality health care.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

:eek::eek:

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Joe: The First Teabagger.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

What happens here (at least in Canada) is that because we're all paying for everybody's health care, certain laws and standards exist here that I'm sure certain Americans would find draconian. For example, you must wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle. Cigarette warnings are far more graphic. You have to wait till your baby is a year old before you can get a vasectomy, just to make sure you really want it. (The vasectomy, not the baby. You won't want the baby.)

Despite those rules, will there still be people who cost the system disproportionately? Of course. But you can also cost the system disproportionately through no fault of your own, and thank God universal healthcare catches you then, too.

BTExpress, Ace, HC and 2 others like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Another effect of universal healthcare: Benefits aren't as essential to us as they are to you. I was able to take some chances in my career because I didn't have to worry about what might happen if I got sick. And I'd guess you'd see declines in things like military recruits, because suddenly you don't have to join the Army to get your baby's birth covered. It's interesting to think of the ripples universal healthcare would bring the US. It would make it a better country, I think.

I say that, of course, as one of your aforementioned Canadians who would never rag on our system. I think it's beautiful.

Iron_chet, Ace, Riptide and 1 other person like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are you willing to pay for the police to investigate the theft of a woman's purse after she leaves it unattended for a half hour in a laundromat?

I hope so. Because you do.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Remember when Lou Dobbs was respected? And not crazy?

Ace likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So as their beer has gotten shittier (maybe I'm not young anyone and have tastes?) so has the CEO's decision making. Good to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.