1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Great. Then he'd be in even better position to fuck with Medicare.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, it's worse than that. And, of course, the replies are gold.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's two other factors in play as well:

1) The possibility that Trump is bringing newly registered or lapsed voters to the polls. His GOTV efforts seem weak at best, but he is still pulling a lot of people to his campaign rallies. There's something to that. Bush in 2004, and then McCain in '08 and Romney in '12 held steady around 60 million votes. Obama just brought out so many new people excited to vote for an energetic, young, black president saying the right things that the Republicans got swamped. If that effect goes away with Hillary and happens to a small degree in reverse with Trump, this thing could wind up a lot closer than people expect.

2) The "Don't tell ME what to do!" syndrome. Whether based in fact or not, the national media and the polls seem to be making a concerted effort to hammer home the idea that the race is over, Trump has no chance, Hillary is going to win a landslide, yada yada. There's bound to be a pushback against that eventually, where people say "screw you" to that message and go against it. It happens all the time in every facet of our lives, from sports to pop culture to politics.
    Whether it happens in time, in enough numbers, and in the right places to save Trump might be what ultimately settles this thing.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Oh no.

HC and bigpern23 like this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The first point does concern me, for sure.

The second part, I'm not so sure about. It seems the last couple of days the media is going out of its way to highlight ANY poll that looks good for Trump. Media needs the horse race for ratings.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It sure bailed out Mondale.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hear a lot of talk about "the polls are wrong." Usually an indicator you're behind. (See: Last weekend of 2012.) Early voting trending heavily Democratic, even out here, which has not happened in many years.

That tells me of an early "hell no" vote against Trump with reliable R's still sitting at home wondering if they can consciously pull the trigger for Trump. (My selection is down to one of two choices, neither of which are the primary players in this shitshow.)

Talk of 1980 of "how did the pollsters get it wrong?" It's not 1980. Namely, there is so much early voting going on vs. 36 years ago. (Noted: Exit polls in 2004 were wrong.) Or frickin' Brexit.

It certainly points to a landslide. But Trump has outpolled the polls in the primaries. HRC likely will win, but I expect it to be closer than expected at this point.

Hell, nothing would surprise me at this point, including the wildcat Utah candidate upsetting the apple cart of the Electoral College. Let's send it to the House!

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Trump consistently underperformed primary polling.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. I typed incorrectly.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Two other thoughts:

1) If Trump is indeed waking up folks who haven't voted in a while, how many are registered? Deadline has passed in most states, and don't know how many have registration at the polls. This likely will be the source of some screams of a "rigged election."

2) How much of a factor will those who pledged allegiance early to Johnson or Stein as a protest vote (vs. true believers in the Libertarians or Green Party) switching to Trump or Clinton late, just to prevent one or the other from getting the nod? Not much, I think, but just throwing it out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.