1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Don saws Comey's getting buried ...

... only to have people ask about The Don's impending court cases ...

... only for @princesspoola to say, Oh hey Guys, how 'bout this one ...

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Now all that said, Trump losing by 3 instead of 6 might be the difference between holding onto to the Senate or not for Republicans, and the nuclear option for Supreme Court nominees is very much on the table, it is not as if there is nothing at stake.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Quite the clutching of pearls there, Michael.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Two questions:

1) Does anyone think Comey wrote the letter now because he knew if he waited, he'd be accused of influencing the election by NOT re-opening the investigation when the Weiner information came to him?

2) How much do you guys believe polls? Ever since Bush/Gore, I've been very wary of them. I'm convinced people try to screw with pollsters.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Feeding a large number of polls into woodchipper modeling has more or less precisely nailed the last three elections.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I will ALWAYS screw with a political pollster. No way I'm helping them fuck up an election with their useless prognostications. Go away you den of vipers!

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump losing by 3 or less would really suck. (Aside from the obvious benefit of it helping down ballot races.) It would show how winnable the election was, even for Trump, if he could have run just a little bit more disciplined campaign.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm pretty much certain of it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My tongue was in cheek there. Not quite sarcastic enough for the blue font. His chances have improved, still not great.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There is no indication the emails in question were withheld by Clinton during the investigation, the law enforcement official told Newsweek, nor does the discovery suggest she did anything illegal. Also, none of the emails were to or from Clinton, the official said. Moreover, despite the widespread claims in the media that this development had prompted the FBI to “reopen” the case, it did not; such investigations are never actually closed, and it is common for law enforcement to discover new information that needs to be examined. ...

The real reason the FBI is reviewing more of Hillary Clinton's Emails

“There is a significant risk of being misunderstood,” Comey told the bureau employees in the communication, explaining why he was so vague in his letter to Congress. “It would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record. At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression.”

Unfortunately, by trying to have things both ways – revealing the change in circumstances while remaining vague about what the agents know – Comey has created that misleading impression that could change the outcome of a presidential election, an act that, if uncorrected, will undoubtedly go down as one of the darkest moments in the bureau’s history

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Lugnuts likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Caspar Weinberger indictment, announced a week before the election, and later thrown out, probably cost GHWB reelection.

So, cry me a river.

The 2008 indictment, and conviction of Ted Stevens, which came on October 27th, and was ultimately voided, cost him re-election, and gave the Democrats a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

Maybe Hillary can withdraw from the ticket like Bob Torricelli did from his 2002 NJ Senate race when late in the campaign, it became clear how corrupt he was. (Even though replacing him on the ballot was allowed under the current law.)

This saved the Dems a Senate seat. Maybe Hillary will do what's in the best interests of the party and country.

But, funny enough, I don't think a single prominent Democrat has even suggested it.

Kicked_to_the_curb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.