1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know, Cronkite, whattaya want?

2. Songbird

Riptide wants to know if that's all you got.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't believe you are letting us do a whole new round of "the email story is going to sink Clinton" after you got so thoroughly embarrassed on it in the spring. Fun!

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's no way they have all of her work related emails.

We know she didn't turn them all over. We know this because they did recover work related emails from other sources.

It would be foolish to think they got them all.

We also know they destroyed or lost devices. We now know Huma didn't turn over all of her devices.

We know at least one IT guy perjured himself.

People don't obstruct justice for no reason.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Comey story has barely begun, since the FBI has yet to obtain the search warrant it needs to even LOOK at the Abedin emails. Until it gets that, or gets Abedin's permission to search them (which she might do) they haven't even really reopened any investigation. In short, not only do we not know shit, nobody does.
    PS: If she is elected, bullshit Republican investigations will drag on for years, and everybody knew that the day before this story broke.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fascinating thing Nate Cohn and NYT Upshot team are doing. In states with early voting. they are going back and asking respondents if they voted and if so for who. He just tweeted that 18 percent of respondents who said they'd already voted were at first less than Almost Certain to vote, their poll's equivalent of Likely.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wonder if Congress will investigate the conditions of the internment camps for liberals, Muslims and Hispanics under Pres Trump?

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Something better than that, obviously.

9. Songbird

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I found this article extremely helpful in explaining the matter, and would strongly encourage it to anyone who actually cares about the facts as we imperfectly know them (as opposed to fitting scraps of info into a pre-existing narrative).

The key part, to me, is that Hillary liked to have her "important" emails printed out by Huma for her to read rather than sifting through her email boxes herself. That's not uncommon or unreasonable for someone in her position. And those who worked with Hillary knew that, so lots of people emailed Huma things that they specifically wanted Hillary to read, since she was the gatekeeper.

However the state department email system apparently wasn't very user-friendly in allowing users to print out emails in a decent, readable format. So Huma got in the habit of forwarding batches of emails that she intended to print out for Hillary to some of her other accounts, including a Yahoo account that she shared with her then-husband, that were more printer-friendly. As someone who also likes to print out my own emails, and regularly forwards emails from among my own accounts and company accounts I control for that specific reason (among others), this sounds entirely reasonable to me, or at least very understandable.

So when Huma says that she didn't even read a bunch of these emails, ever, I believe her. She was just trying to efficiently compile the "emails to be read today" pile for her boss.

One could well argue, and perhaps even prove, that she was careless with emails that might turn out to be classified, and thus potentially put that info at risk by using a Yahoo account. But to make a criminal case one would have to prove that she did so with the intent of disclosing the classified information. No way, IMO, they ever get there. And that's also why Comey said they didn't have a reasonable case to prosecute Hillary – no intent to disclose the classified info. "Recklessness" is a different matter, and can be criminal in certain cases, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. (Caveat: I am not a lawyer, but I did once spend six months as a juror on a criminal case, and I know a little about "criminal intent" being a necessary element to prove certain charges.)

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If I forward a PDF to a Gmail or Yahoo account, I can count on a nice little email from the IT Service Desk telling me to not fucking do that any more.

YankeeFan and Vombatus like this.
  12. Songbird

Get Huma to do it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.