1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Reminds me of an interesting little saga from my hometown. Four years ago, the local tribe, whose gas station out in the sticks (about halfway between the town where I was working and the big town in the region) was known for its well-below-market-value gas (because it was on tribal land and thus not subject to the state gas tax). They moved to build a station on the edge of the largest city in the region (which would not have the same exemption -- at least for now), and a coalition of station owners tried to strong-arm the local zoning board to shut it down. Well, when the paper got wind of this (and noted accurately that gas prices in town were significantly and consistently above prices in the rest of the region), the leader of the coalition, a chain with 30-40 Citgo stations throughout the greater region, threw the paper out of its stores.

(Stay with me, the ending is worth it.)

When asked to comment on why they did it, the owner of that chain said, “We’re not going to do business with your company anymore because all you can say is bad things about us. You’re supporting these Indians. They’re thieves, they’re convicted felons* and they’re tax evaders," and then hung up.

They are no longer Citgo stations (though they are still in business). The point is, that's a licensing agreement, and I think just about any business, whether it's a McDonalds, a Shell or an Applebee's, is going to cut you off quick if you go off the reservation like that. (No pun intended.) The whole story was fascinating, if for no other reason than it's about as simple and effective an economics lesson as you can get.

*This was a thinly-veiled reference to one of "these Indians" in particular, the one who kind of founded the loophole on which most Indian gaming is built.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm reading a book that touches on this. Even before the agricultural and industrial revolutions, which many point to as the flashpoints for mass extinction, Homo Sapiens likely wiped out massive quantities of species with every new land mass they inhabited.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The ultimate in "you only write about us when we lose" stories!

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Eric Holder: James Comey is a good man, but he made a serious mistake

In an opinion piece in the Washington Post about James Comey, former Attorney General Erich Holder indirectly, but accurately, throws current Attorney General Loretta Lynch under the bus, presumably with the approval of Obama. She gone....

(politics aside, this is extremely well written)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Polls not any more favorable for Trump, so far, in immediate aftermath of Comey letter. But they show a much closer race, mostly due to Republicans getting more unified, which was predictable. Renouncing your party's choice is a hard thing for most folks.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Another Al Campanis moment.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is a great post, and honestly, probably worth its own thread on the J board ... not about politics, but about how social media has completely undone how the MSM covers elections. There have to be some lessons learned from this going forward, because I don't remember things being this batshit crazy in 2012.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're not voting.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who would have predicted that the 2016 GOP nominee would be such a strong advocate for the LGBTQ community and would proudly display the Rainbow Flag on stage at a campaign event less than 10 days before the election?

He deserves great credit for this, but will get none from the left or the main stream media.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hard to say. I'm a hetero white man, so you have to agree with @Michael_ Gee that I'm an enemy of mankind. I suppose this election is merely revealing how utterly racist, sexist and anti-Semitic I truly am.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.