1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

After you finish studying up on how dangerous Turkey really is, maybe you ought to take a look at Yates again. It allows the teaching or advocacy of overthrowing the government in an abstract sense, but not as a direct threat. Burr said Clinton should have a target on her. That could be interpreted as a direct threat. Let the courts sort it out.

Burr could try to claim political hyperbole, like in the Watts vs. United States. In that case, Justice Douglass made a dissent, citing Stickrath vs. United States from 1917, which held that advocating the assassination of the president was considered treason. So no, I'm not the only one who has ever considered a threat against the president to be considered treason.

There are multiple cases involving threats to the president with multiple court interpretations. Some defendants have their cases thrown out, while others get convicted. Maybe it's time one of these violent big mouths get forced to explain their stupidity in court.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If they agree to a duel in Weehawken, NJ I wouldn't bet against Burr.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Republican Party has gone mad, and I'm sickened I ever had anything to do with it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? I know WLA @RickStain has said it's over, but is it really that over?

RickStain likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. They're now killing anyone who owes more than $12 in overdue fines.

Batman likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It is not quite that over. But it is pretty over

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't Harry Reid say paying taxes are voluntary?

9. doctorquant

No, he said adhering to the Bill of Rights was discretionary...

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I was right about Turkey. Any Ameticans or Europeans jailed, injured, or killed?

Also wrong about what Burr meant, but context does not matter among some here. Not a wise thing to joke about, but neither is saying you should stay in a presidential race because you are afraid your opponent could get assasinated.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  11. doctorquant

Burr's a moron, and he shouldn't have said what he said. He gained nothing at at least some cost (not the stuff of good trades). Beyond that, the hyperventilating is ridiculous.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.