1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Cubs will be in the HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll get some heat here for this being a separate thread, but I think it's worthy.

This will be an iconic team in baseball history, particularly if they win another World Series or two. The GM is a sure-fire HOFer. The manager probably is, too. But what about the players? My ranking of their HOF likeliness, 1-10:

1. Bryant
    2. Lester
    3. Russell
    4. Rizzo
    5. Hendricks
    6. Schwarber
    7. Arrieta
    8. Baez
    9. Zobrist
    10. Chapman

Thoughts?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bryant, Lester, Rizzo ... and let's see about Hendricks.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The majority of them are still in their 20's. Let's wait another year or 15 before getting the molds made.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How many 1986 Mets are in the Hall of Fame?

A: One (Gary Carter, who got in largely on his accomplishments with the Expos)

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Strawberry and Gooden would have been Hall of Fame locks if they had been able to keep themselves from shoving things up their noses, and an argument could have been made for Hernandez.

As for the '16 Cubs: I like Bryant's chances for a solid career, and Rizzo's. Lester might be iffy. Get another ring or two and I'd make an argument for Maddon. I'd love to see a player like Zobrist get in, but that's way more eye-test than actual production.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Really now. The '96-2001 Yankees don't have any players in the Hall yet, although of course Jeter and Rivera are mortal locks.

7. Dick Whitman

I guess I think that's what makes it so interesting to me.

The Blackhawks won young, too. They have Kane, Toews, and Keith as mortal locks, Hossa close to it, and Crawford on the fringe.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised we don't have a Theo Epstein: HOF thread. Because, yes.

10. Dick Whitman

We haven't had Albert Pujols or LeBron James threads, either.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Come on, guys. Who wouldn't put a .240-hitting shortstop in the Hall after two seasons?

Stoney likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't think LeBron James should be in the baseball hall of fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted