1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not taking any chances is why Obama won two elections. Elliotte, I am sorry you cannot see any significant difference between a conventional politician with that breed's conventional flaws and strengths and an ignorant demagogue running of a promise of a country full of hate and fear. Oh, yeah, who's also running with the full support of a hostile foreign authoritarian/dictator.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The extent of your critical thinking so far is "they're both horrible" and "I'm disaffected."

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you don't exercise your right to vote, you have no grounds to bitch about anything. I don't care if you write in Prop Joe for president. Get out and fucking vote.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let's talk about your critical thinking along that tortuous journey from "I don't really know how I'll vote" to "As of now I'm leaning toward supporting the Democratic ticket" to "I'm firmly in HRC's camp" ...

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

He's a terrible candidate because he has no grasp of policy, has no desire to learn, some of his suggestions for policy are truly horrifying, and his compunction to lash out and attack are terrifying from a man who has the justice department at his back.
    She's a terrible candidate because she can't give inspiring speeches.

They aren't equal flaws. They aren't equal predictors of presidential ability. The successes Obama's had as a president haven't been gained by the soaring oratorial skills that served him so well as a candidate, and the areas he's failed couldn't have been salved with those skills. The successes Bush had as a president weren't gained by the "I'd like to have a beer with him" vibe that served him so well as a candidate, and the areas he failed couldn't have been fixed by it.

She might be a terrible candidate - but that doesn't make the election garbage. The things that make her a terrible candidate won't make her a terrible president.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No, it isn't. You're lazy for not reading.

I explained that I've seen someone go through a difficult time where politicians could have helped him. He didn't get it, because he didn't matter ENOUGH. It opened my eyes to how this really works. Politicians count votes. It's awful. I see it from that prism now. I'm looking at these two candidates, and I see it the same way. People don't see either one of them as someone who cares about them. Obama had that gift. Bill Clinton had that gift. These two don't.

Sorry, but that's it. Too bad if you don't like it. But labelling people who are disaffected as ignorant is exactly why this mess exists.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Anyway, I've stated how I feel -- and I can't vote in this election anyway.

You're all entitled to agree or disagree. I won't call anyone who disagrees lazy or ignorant. I'm very accepting of others' opinions :)

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

What damage from this cycle do you throw at the Democrat's feet? I'm honestly curious. They haven't been the ones casting aside the norms of a civilized democracy.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

@WriteThinking hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt around here. This is a poster who famously said the solution to gun violence in the United States was to "just stop."

Stoney and JC like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rubes hungry for Trump propaganda are making Macedonia great again.

How Macedonia Became A Global Hub For Pro-Trump Misinformation

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's a hopeful story about family members thinking they were torn apart by politics.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You haven't said what the problem was or how our generic "politican" was going to solve this problem, nor have you explained why this is a good reason to decide not to participate in the political process.

Why is it "awful" for our generic (because every one of them is, of course, the same person) politicians to count votes?

So you have some vague feeling that HRC doesn't care about you? I'd suggest that's your problem, not hers.

What mess?

Show me commentary that suggests all "politicians" are terrible or "a pox on both houses" and I'll show you someone who is uninformed.

Bottom line, all opinions are not equal and I don't treat them as such out of some perverted sense of fairness.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.