1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Cubs will be in the HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You mean Rizzo?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are a lot of fun.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ironically, I think Joe Maddon might have coached himself out of the Hall of Fame with his idiotic WS moves. A manager winning a title with the Cubs -- especially Maddon, who is beloved by certain sports writers -- should almost be a shoo-in for the Hall. I don't think he stamped his ticket yet

4. Dick Whitman

What idiotic moves? Taking Hendricks out and leaving Chapman in? I thought they were bad moves at the time, but Chapman came out and pitched a clean ninth.

5. CD Boogie

Yup, those. Also trying the suicide squeeze.

6. Dick Whitman

Smoltz predicted that move on the broadcast and liked it, for whatever it's worth. I've seen people defend the Chapman Game 6 usage, as well, though I don't agree. Their defense is, "You've got to win Game 6 before you get to Game 7," and I typically hate that reasoning. You are managing to give yourself the best chance to win two games and the World Series. The goal is not just to get to Game 7. I understand that people don't tend to think that way, though.

RickStain likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Spazzing out with Chapman and wearing him out was the only wrong move.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kris Bryant age 23-24: 65 HRs, 201 RBIs.

Bill Melton age 23-24: 56 HRs, 183 RBIs.

Comparable stats to another potentially great Chicago 3B. Melton had an even better year at 25 (33-86), but was out of baseball by 31. Predicting HOF for somebody at age 24 is really a stretch.

9. CD Boogie

Chapman's usage in Games 6 and 7 was both egregious. Game 6 was a total panic move. And then to send him out in the 9th inning of Game 7 -- after he'd given up the game-trying home run -- was ridiculous. Sure it worked. But it was akin to Tito bringing in Pedro in game 7 of the 2044 ALCS. Just dumb.

Sure, the Cubs won, but damn if they didnt do it in spite of some bonehead moves by Maddon. He's lucky he had the players to bail him out.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not predicting the HOF for him. I'm predicting, in order, the percentage chance that members of the Cubs roster eventually reach the HOF.

Also: Now do Mike Schmidt.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Why should some bad decisions he made in two games (very important games, I'll grant you) erase what he did in the previous 177 games? If he goes on to win one or two more series with the Cubs, those decisions won't even register with HOF voters.

Draft saved Draft deleted