1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Cubs will be in the HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 4, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Because postseason moves -- by coaches, players -- are always weighted more heavily. Ce la vie. You're right, though, if he wins one or two more, he'll sail into Cooperstown.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with Epstein -- under his watch, two teams have ended their curses.

Maddon, in spite of the bonehead moves, gets in if he wins a few more Series, which is quite possible with this team.

As for the young stars? Hard to say, given the role injuries and other factors might play in the future.

On a tangent, this thread has made me think back to 1971, when I was 12 and my dad and his friend took us to Wrigley for the opening day against the Cardinals. By my count, there were eight players on the rosters who made the Hall of Fame: Ernie Banks (then a reserve and in his final season), Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Fergie Jenkins for the Cubs; Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Steve Carlton and Joe Torre (who admittedly made the HOF for his managerial accomplishments) for the Cardinals. Leo Durocher was the Cubs' manager, and he also made the Hall, although he'd lost it by then. Gibson and Jenkins were the starting pitchers, both went the distance, and Williams ended it with a homer in the bottom of the 10th.

Besides seeing all those great players, the time of the game was 1 hour, 58 minutes, according to the box on retrosheet.org.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Michael_ Gee likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was born in '71, foul year of our Lord, so went to see how the Dodgers did on the actual day I was shit into bowels of humanity, 9-9 ...

They beat the Padres before about 8,000 ...

1.png

2.png

And I'm scrolling thru the lineup and see a pinch-hitter for the Padres, Johnny Jeter, who didn't have much of a career in the bigs ...

3.png

And notice that he's the father of Shawn Jeter ...

4.png

Who in 18 career plate appearances had 2 hits and nothing else.

He's 50 years old. Wonder what he's up to these days. Would be fun to see if he remembers those 2 hits.

Bronco77 likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Maddon is going to get serious consideration even if he doesn't win another World Series.

Look at the two managers on the new Vet Committee ballot

A 23 seasons, 1,815-1,713, .517, 7 playoff appearances, 1 pennant, 1 title (losing record in playoffs), 3 time Manager of Year
    B 17 seasons, 1,372-1,071, .562, 6 playoff appearances, 1 pennant, 1 title (losing record in playoffs), 2 time Manager of Year
    Maddon 13 seasons, 981-852, .535, 6 playoff appearances, 2 pennants, 1 title (500 record in playoffs), 3 time Manager of Year (4 if wins this year)

A is Lou Piniella. B is Davey Johnson

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bryant or Rizzo.

6. outofplace

Given the limited mirth you bring to the site, I question your ability to judge such things.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Probably why he had Bryant at 1. OOPbot may need an oil change.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nitpicking. it was a safety squeeze, not a suicide squeeze.
    A suicide squeeze is when the runner breaks from home like he's trying to steal. Heyward was waiting to make sure the bunt got down before he broke for home, which is a safety squeeze.

JC, RickStain and CD Boogie like this.
  9. outofplace

My mistake. I misread.

Still wouldn't put Russell ahead of either of them and it is a bit early for such conversations about any of those guys.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Who had the over/under of a DW HOF thread appearing after 32 hours?

Draft saved Draft deleted