1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Campaigns would be weird if it was national popular vote. Clinton would be campaigning in LA, Dallas and Atlanta today, and Trump would be in Terre Haute, Biloxi and Odessa-Midland. Aside from the fact that the smaller states would never ever go for it, neither would the Republicans, as it would give the Democrats a campaigning and organizing advantage. Democratic voters are more concentrated in small geographic areas. Republicans are more spread out, thus harder to reach efficiently.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Seems like you are taking this very personally.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed. And what say you about those who refer to the EC as being "outdated" or having "outlived its usefulness"?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It became outdated after the 1792 election.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why are Dems and GOP voters spread that way?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dems dominate cities and increasingly, suburbs near the biggest cities. More minorities, college educated, and younger people live in those places. Older white voters, if affluent, live in SunBelt retirement havens like the Villages, and smaller cities and rural areas if they're not and that's the Republican base.

Ace likes this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sorry. That you proudly wasted your vote to make A Statement and that you stand by what you consider a "reasoned, willingly well-explained, thoughtful, nuanced and yes, forgiving, stance" on Josh Duggar don't make you sound any less delusional.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I fucking hate the "you wasted your vote" or "you threw your vote away" nonsense. How someone votes and why they voted that way is a completely personal and unique experience. If someone feels like the way they voted represents their beliefs and values, regardless of whether or not their chosen candidate has a chance to win, it is not a wasted vote. If someone can walk about of a voting booth feeling like their voice was heard, the vote was not thrown away.

We want so badly for people to go out and vote, but it doesn't help to tell someone that they are wasting their vote if it wasn't for one of these two people. Instead of convincing them to fall in line and vote for one of the two major parties, it is more likely to deter them from voting at all.

I'm not voting for one of the two major candidates, but I'm legitimately excited to vote for my candidate of choice because I believe that person more closely matches my beliefs and values on a number of different topics, much more so than Trump or Clinton. Seeing that person get one more vote than they normally would will make me feel genuinely glad I made it to the polls on Nov. 8.

If you want to call that "wasting my vote," well, to quote the venerable Dick Whitman: "Go fuck yourself."

SpeedTchr and FileNotFound like this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Serious question. What do you see as Hillary's flaws that made you want to "waste" your vote?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wait a minute.

Someone called Louis C.K. a "third-rate entertainer"?

He's on the short list for GOAT.

TowelWaver and amraeder like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember when we used to do that in this country too. There's really not a heck of a lot of long-term planning going on by either side, or at least beyond their term in office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.