1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's your story, and you're sticking to it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Before Obungocare was Obungocare, it was Romneycare, and before it was Romneycare, essentially it was Anti-Hillarycare in 1994.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Governors refusing to accept federal dollars to expand Medicaid was disgraceful. They essentially blocked assistance from people in dire need of it to score political points.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It would be fabulous if it shows up in one of his overnight tweets.

Word on the street is that Alex Jones is a big monkey king supporter, so maybe he'll pass it along to Trump.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You gotta give 'em credit though ... it was the first time politicos of any stripe had ever done anything just to score political points.

ETA: And it was Medicaid.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Probably set new records in terms of the number of people who were hurt to score those points.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Remind me again about Medicare Part D. Were the Dems on board or did they say,"fuck it, let's try to make it work as well as possible"?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

While I disagree with that approach, I respect it, but what you are doing is not what WriteThinking did. She admitted on this thread that she chose to waste her vote. She didn't select another candidate who she liked better, She just checked off somebody whose only virtue was not being Clinton or Trump.
    It is one thing to choose a third-party candidate. It is another to thoughtlessly vote for somebody else with so little concern for that choice that she forgot the name of the candidate two days later. And when she could have simply held off on the post until she figured it out, but she chose to go ahead and make herself look like a fool. Sorry, but she has no reason to complain about the treatment she gets in response.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No it wasn't. Romneycare was passed by very liberal Massachusetts supermajorities over eight Romney vetoes. The argument that the Repubs would have gone for the ACA had one of their guys been in the White House is so much hogwash.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I wasn't speaking about her (and cran's reaction to her) specifically. I was speaking more generally, although that interaction did spur my post. In discussions with friends and family, I've heard the lines "wasting your vote" and "throwing your vote away" several times. I've seen it here, too. It has always seemed way too dismissive and discouraging of someone who chooses to go off the beaten path with their vote.

That said, she had her reasons for voting the way she did. She went to the polls and made her choice based on her own personal criteria. You can disagree with it, but I don't think you should judge her for it. And by no means do I think she made herself "look like a fool."

If we are truly going to encourage people to go out and vote, we shouldn't judge those who vote in a manner with which we disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.