1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't find it funny that people have to be urged to voting against an insane, racist fascist. It isn't even a little funny.

HanSenSE, Killick and dixiehack like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think a majority of Republicans acknowledged that Trump was a flawed candidate from the start.

Clinton was the nominee by near acclimation in her party. Only the token candidacy of Bernie Sanders exposed that much of the base had an intense dislike of her.

But, African-American support in the primaries carried her to the nomination.

But, those votes came from mostly red states, that she won't carry on Tuesday.

And, so the President has to beg African-Americans in Michigan and Pennsylvania to vote for her, just as Bernie is begging young voters.

The Democratic Party establishment didn't see didn't see the opposition to Clinton within their own party. It was a complete disconnect.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, so why is it necessary to beg democrats to vote for her, against Donald Trump?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I can. It would look like this golf thread.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I just saw Nate Silver on "This Week". The guy has worse hair than Trump. He's got little swirls of hair in all directions trying to cover half an acre of bare scalp, and it's short. How do you form a working comb-over while wearing your hair short?

6. RickStain

"Flawed candidate" is bullshit.

He is mentally ill and untreated. He is a literal fascist, with all that goes with it: strongman politics, threatening to jail opponents and the press, belief in eugenics and severely racist.

If you ever wondered what you would have done in 1930s Germany, a bunch of shameless cowards have their answer.

7. RickStain

Because white angst and misogyny crosses party lines

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You tend to reduce people's feelings about other people to this binary "likes her" or "doesn't like her." I don't think people really process it that way. Do I like my boss? Not when he wants four document binders put together in an hour or else. Do I like him when we are having dinner? Yes. People's opinions about other people occur on a continuum. They also happen to occur situationally.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is truly shocking that they anticipate African-Americans not showing up at the same rate they did for the first black president.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it me or are Trump and his supporters and foreign benefactors much more active in shoveling out fake news stories claiming Hillary is about to be locked up for this or that?

I assume the plan is if you flood people with this crap they at least think there may be something there. Plus, I guess you get a lot of clicks and shares from rubes.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. RickStain

What *is* funny is YF framing it as "begging" for votes. It is an election, she is a politician. Trying to get more votes is what you do.

Trying to frame her weakness relative to Obama with two demographic groups as some kind of deep flaw is like pointing out how the Cubs' LF defense was shaky. It was, but trying to draw a line from that to the strength of the team is intentionally myopic.

She is also outperforming Obama with women and Hispanics, especially on turnout for the latter. She is going to underperform him in Michigan but still win it, and she will overperform him in Arizona and still lose it.

The sudden obsession with Michigan is hilarious. She is up by a solid 4-6 there. If he didn't need it so badly, nobody would give it a second thought.

When Trump's people realized Colorado and Nevada were gone, there was a frantic search for states to help frame the narrative that it wasn't over. They flirted with Wisconsin for about a day before realizing early voting had already sent that ship sailing. They aren't even really trying for PA, which I'll give them credit is a sucker bet that many Republican candidates would take.

But because partisans and media don't want to admit it is over, suddenly Michigan is In Play! because dammit we have to have our horse race.

It is over, she won, and your grandchildren will be embarrassed that you ever hoped she didn't.

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.