1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have the TV on. ... Trump just arrived to vote in NYC. ...

1) How cool would it be if he was purged from the voter rolls, too?
    2) Melania looks like a transvestite (or whatever the PC term is now) to me. Sorry, I had to say it at least once on here.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I kind of doubt Trump supporters will let the results go if their guy wins, but here's my promise. If Clinton wins, I promise to forget the whole thing starting tomorrow (assuming, please God, it's not still going on tomorrow) and refrain from discussing the topic until 2017 if they will.

wicked and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The next con in progress.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I voted this morning. The folks working the polling place were the most dour I've ever seen from election workers. Not friendly at all. In the parking lot I saw one SUV plastered with stickers, two of which were Bernie Sanders and Wall Drug. One car with Trump-Pence.

My poor-ass city ... I have no idea which way it's going to go. St. Louis, Kansas City and Columbia will overwhelmingly vote for Clinton, but Trump will win Springfield and most of the small cities and rural areas. Missouri most likely goes for Trump.

The race I'm most interested in is the Senate race between Roy Blunt and Jason Kander. A Kander victory would get Democrats one step closer to taking control and get the NRA-bought-and-paid-for Blunt out of office.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Am I the only one having fun today?

I got up a little early and took a nice walk to my polling place this morning, passed a lot of people with their stickers on, many of whom gave me a nice "Morning!" as I went past. When I got to the first station where I show my ID, I asked the sweet old lady working there "Is this the voting store?" She laughed and sent me on my way. I had to wait about an hour in line, but it was no big deal. It was cool seeing that many people coming out and voting even in a campaign as nasty as this one turned out to be. I talked with the other people in line about random bullshit, cracking jokes about the last time we were in a middle school gymnasium and making bets on which of us could get closest to the rim. After I voted, I gave the lady handing out the stickers a high five and yelled out "AMERICA!" I was then kindly asked to leave.

Yeah, these two candidates aren't the best, so that can sour the whole thing for a lot of people. But dammit, we only get to do this once every four years, and it is an important part of being a citizen.

Fucking enjoy it.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

They just gave my kid a sticker. Hopefully the FraudSeekers don't take that the wrong way.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I voted. For her. Wrote my name in for Congress and Circuit Court Judge.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My belief all along is that in a high-turnout election, Trump wins. It looks like turnout will be record-breaking in some areas. I've never in my life hoped more to be wrong.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've been listening to the Fivethirtyeight podcast this month. Very interesting to learn about actual polling. Apparently, internal campaign polling is much more accurate than professional, non-partisan polling.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I feel absolutely the opposite. The radical fringe turns out for rallies and plasters signs on their front lawn. The silent majority turns out to vote.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was an essay about a decade ago that said --- despite what people will actually admit in public --- that people are happiest when their last child leaves home.

Sounds right around 54 and older, does it not?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I promise no such thing. We had an attempted fascist uprising and I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen

dixiehack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.