1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lock him up!

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He couldn't stay inside the lines either.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That strikes me as an incredibly stupid law. Why is that a thing?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Walked over to the local elementary school and had about a 15-minute wait to vote. That's one of the (few) cool things about working on the copy desk ... you get to mingle with senior citizens and soccer moms on election day. Even if you don't vote like them. :)

Went with the Democrats for Congress, although Raul Labrador and Mike Crapo will crush them. Actually voted for Republicans for the two state house seats, because they're younger and moderate in their views (especially for Idaho). The Democrats nominated against them are cranky retirees.

And of course, Jill Stein for president. She'll get a couple thousand votes statewide and maybe 0.5 percent nationwide. It's good to have choices, though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

probably so people aren't coerced into proving who they voted for.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My daily email from the History Channel:

Today in history... the Beer Hall Putsch started in 1923.

Hmm.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the statewide referendums (or is that referenda?).

Five states voting to legalize recreational marijuana use: Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada. I like pot's chances in the three western states. Not sure about New England.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't know. My guess would be coercion or obstruction (i.e., get the hell out of the way so someone else can vote). It's only a misdemeanor, so he likely will avoid hard time.

Either way, I'm guessing there were big signs that said ballot selfies were prohibited. The son of the Law & Order Candidateā„¢ probably should've read those.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Trump suing because Clark County, NV, kept the polls open late one night during early voting to let everyone who was in line on time vote. As they are required to.

He's always contesting the election. Too many brown people got to vote.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had the same exact thought.

I am not sure what the actual law in New York is regarding taking a picture of your ballot. ... I do have an idea that "freedom of [insert 10 things from the bill of rights] should be striking down any law like that. It's nonsense. Laws should keep you from hurting others. Not making a gazillion decisions for you about what is best for you.

The rationale for those laws in the states that have enacted them, have had to do with "vote buying" -- to keep people from proving that they delivered what they are being paid for. Welcome to the world in which we regulate every aspect of every minute of every activity (economic or otherwise) or everyone else's lives with a class of busy-bodies creating endless nonsense.

amraeder likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How many goddamn languages is that ballot printed in?

This is Murica! Vote in English dagnabbit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.