1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Where does the autopsy on Hillary Clinton even begin?

This wasn't about Republicans winning. This was about Hillary Clinton being the Andy Reid of political candidates. Unimaginative and can't manage the clock.

In states like Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania and - nearly - Michigan and even Minnesota, the people who voted for Trump just didn't like Hillary Clinton. It wasn't that they love Donald Trump. Young liberals in these states love Bernie Sanders. Did they show up and stand in line for Hillary Clinton yesterday? I tend to doubt it.

The Midwest Trump Voter isn't always a manual labor worker, miserable in a life of cigarette breaks while listening to the Eagles or Tom Petty at the metal manufacturing plant on the second shift.

For every Trump idiot with a confederate flag, there are hundreds and hundreds of quiet, law-abiding and money-saving older people who really are the 2016 version of Nixon's Silent Majority. They pay off their meager mortgages from 1988, are horrified at the thought of $22 trillion in debt. Quite a few go to church and, even if they're softening on same-sex marriage or not as stringent on Roe/Wade, they don't want the Supreme Court to lurch left. They don't believe that people should be able to buy marijuana like they're buying a package of raspberry Zingers.

I think of my neighbors. We have 7 homes on our cul-de-sac. We're upper-middle class -- the homes are 1,700 square feet, built in the 1970s. I walk the dog way too much (thanks to Ms. Ex) so I catch up with the neighbors. Four of our six neighbors are Trump households, two were for Clinton. All of them are incredibly kind and giving people, concerned about their kids or grown children. The Trump households talk to me constantly about the national debt and good jobs -- not about guns. They care about the financial part.

The Democrats, going back to 2006, have lurched further and further left. It started with the Iraq War, moved into the Affordable Care Act (again, I'm a Republican who doesn't have a huge issue with making sure our citizens are covered -- we have a society of abundance -- I've come around on this. People deserve a basic level of reliable coverage). Same-sex marriage got floated in 2012 and turned into a wedge issue. Then marijuana on the ballots. Eventually, older people on the right are going to say enough.

When did Clinton ever tick back towards the center? During the primaries, all she had to do was run to the right of Sanders to get the nomination. Yet, like Trump, she didn't offer any real specifics on how to improve the country. It was Better. Together.

That's about as bad as "Make America Great Again".

Trump was able to reach voters in the ways that Romney never could. That disappoints me as I found Romney to be an incredibly decent and charitable human being and I don't bestow those characteristics to Donald Trump.

Perhaps we all missed it - in the polling or from our social circles. Today on Facebook, my feed is littered with well-educated people making dramatic statements of sorrow, being embarrassed for our country. Even saw a lifelong friend, highly educated and financially successful, flipping the double bird at the camera once Trump won. She's got three little kids.

Putting aside the Trump confederate flag d-bags, most of the Trump voters have just quietly gone about their business this election cycle, the same way they've gone about their lives. Paying on time, staying under the radar and showing up when it mattered. Finally, in 2016, after they had been mocked long enough in words, deeds and legislation by the left, including our current President, they finally got pissed off enough to do something tangible about it.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Thank you Batman, I believe you're genuine with this, but you're also not a Muslim parent who has to walk their kids to school in the morning. You're not a gay person worried about basic rights that can be undone. You're not a woman walking into Planned Parenthood for whatever reason, including the desire for basic health care. The America so many people knew and loved changed tonight, and not for the better.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

So how long does it take Hillary to file the divorce papers?

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, all, we usually close these 24 hours after an election but given that this one was not normal, we'll keep things trucking through the weekend before we get back to no politics around here. Even in my haze and disappointment, we can be good like that. Please do the same, we'll only shut it down beforehand if things get out of hand.

Appreciate it, carry on.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trumped by Trump.

This should be an adventure.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

May G-d have mercy on our souls.

In all seriousness, I sincerely hope I'm wrong about President Trump. I doubt it, but I won't allow my disagreement with the results of this election to force me to root for this country to fail or hope for its president to mess up.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hi, guys! Was out of the loop all day yesterday. Anything interesting happen?

Vombatus likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just had to tell my 13-year-old daughter, who threw her pillow and declared that we are moving to Canada.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fears that he wants to persecute minorities is going to turn out to be very overblown. He desperately wants to be liked too much.

I just hope he knows what the fuck he's doing.

I am in utter shock, but as I've said at times throughout, some of the shock at times had a crying wolf quality to it. People understood that he didn't do anything wrong on his taxes. And they got that he wasn't bragging about sexual assault.

YankeeFan and FileNotFound like this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He can just be a regular Republican right winger and breeze through his first term and probably into a second. Or he can implement his policies of vengeance and persecution, and things will get very ugly very fast. Who the fuck knows? He doesn't I'm sure. And that's why the rest of the world, as well as yours truly, is scared shitless.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cool. Have a good trip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.