1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She's the Dave Wannstedt of presidential candidates.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People of color, at least the ones who write and I read, look at this election as white America promising to subjugate them, to make them less than full citizens. If Trump simply doesn't do that, he will be a political success. If he does, well, I will be among those who resist with all peaceful powers at my disposal.
    There are some genuine haters in the Trump community, but the vast bulk of those voters, while resentful, aren't cruel. TV scenes of children being forced out of school and onto buses for parts unknown won't make them happy.
    Unfortunately, there's a flaw in my previous paragraph. The Trump economic policies won't improve these folks' lives. They will get angrier about those lives, and anger is the fuel of hate's fire.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's a passing league now.

FishHack76, da man and poindexter like this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm having to wake up to a hard reality: My enthusiasm for Clinton was never enthusiasm for Clinton. It was disgust for everything Donald Trump stands for. Fucking over the little man, objectifying women, saying one thing and doing another, pandering to the basest instincts among us. Sure, she was a Clinton, with all the baggage that entails. But I was willing to look past that to vote against that man.

Here's the lesson: If we've learned nothing else, we've learned conclusively that the cover-up is ALWAYS always always always worse than the original crime.

What a great issue the Trump campaign had in the email server. It was just vague enough that the average person couldn't fully understand WHY it was a bad idea, just that it sounded like a bad idea. From a technical standpoint, anybody who thinks outdated government infrastructure is somehow inherently more secure than a private server is a fool. But that didn't matter. It was just ONE MORE EXAMPLE of a Clinton acting like he or she was above the law and/or accepted custom, and that whatever rules were in place didn't apply. And her bad, shifty answers made it even worse.

Which reminded us a little bit of Bill Clinton in 1998. He wasn't the first president to get a hummer in the Oval; he was just the first one who got caught. Key difference between Clinton's womanizing and Trump's womanizing: Clinton gave us, "Ah. Did Not. Have. Sexual. Relations. With. That. Woman." Trump gave us, "Yeah, I can just grab 'em by the pussy." Some people -- hell, MOST people -- find the honesty refreshing.

The lie is worse than the crime. I tell that to my kids all the time. I think the Clintons have finally learned that.

We the people did have the choice of the lesser of two evils. We tried to say that it wasn't an equal choice, that his evil was worse than hers. For better or worse, though, he largely (although not entirely) owns his evil. She doesn't. In the end, that made all the difference, particularly to an electorate that doesn't sit around thinking about shades of gray as much as you or I might.

I hope President Trump proves us all wrong. I take some small solace in that we're going to find out what a repudiation of "politics as usual" actually means for our country. So many things to learn from this experience, and class starts Jan. 20.

SpeedTchr, Riptide and gingerbread like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's President Trump's first problem. He will operate with a GOP Congress very much dedicated to politics -- their politics -- as usual.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm OK with gridlock for the next four years.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Congratulations @YankeeFan
    Congratulations @old_tony
    Congratulations @Armchair_QB
    Congratulations @doctorquant
    Same to all our beloved board conservatives !
    I enjoyed discussing this cycle with you all very much.

@cranberry Let's DRINK !!!!!!

I hope the aspects of the Trump "policy" talk that I liked-- some of the discussion on trade-- fixing Obamacare-- I hope that's put into play.

Who the hell knows, but I do know:

I believe in this country, and HERE WE GO !!!!!!

:) :) :)

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary to speak at 9:30AM.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I should be happy with the result, as a conservative, but I'm really not because of the uncertainty with Trump. I would have been fine with the basic gridlock of the last six years.

That being said, perhaps the Republicans who did win can realize this isn't a mandate on social issues or trying to run peoples' lives but on economic policy and trying to be fiscally responsible.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I was never a Trump guy ...

11. YankeeFan

Republicans came home. #NeverTrump failed. Gary Johnson's support was in line with previous Libertarian candidates. Trump did get some crossover Dems. And, African-Americans didn't come out in the numbers Hillary needed.

12. YankeeFan

So, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire all have Republican governors.

Mike Pence is VP, and Indiana still has a Republican governor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.