1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course I realize that -- the part about the changes to the tax code, and that he is likely to spend like a drunken sailor. ... not your editorial about it. As I said in my earlier post, I am kind of guessing we get more of the same (just with slightly different rhetoric), and he presides over the same disaster she was going to preside over. That disaster has already been sowed. Just in his victory (edit: I originally wrote "concession," woops) speech, his talk about building airports and "infrastructure" had me rolling my eyes. It's like a 25 year old who is sitting with a maxed out credit card and two elderly parents that he expects to support. ... quitting his job and planning his purchase of a new car.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    doctorquant likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If it is, Republicans will get their asses voted out in November 2018. Count on that.

Never doubt the Republicans' ability to overplay their hand, of course...

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But generally speaking, it's captured waves and trends in the past 2 cycles.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Everyone is saying this, and it's technically true, but trump is not republican the way congress is. He's closer to a Bloomberg republican. He has almost as many adversaries in the gop. For the first time, we have a European style, three segment government where we'll see coalition building to get anything done.

5. Guy_Incognito

No he's not. If he would have stayed out of politics, none of us would have cared that he's a lousy human being. He'd just be one of many in the world of business and Hollywood.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One of my friends who I worked with in the Giuliani administration has been #NeverTrump all along.

Yesterday, he posted on Facebook about what an honor it was to be able to vote. He was overjoyed by the long line at his Manhattan polling place. He offered some platitudes about how no matter who wins, we need to join together and support the new president, and what not.

Then the results came in.

Full meltdown.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Fantastic analysis. I despise Trump more than I've ever despised anyone, and that's not an exaggeration. But this loss is on Hillary, and her supporters (including me). I underestimated how much so many pockets of America hates her, for all kinds of reasons. That's not going to prevent me from still believing that those who voted for Trump have some sort of racist or sexist bent in their DNA. That's for them to reconcile, just as I've had to come to terms with voting for a candidate as flawed as Clinton.

8. Guy_Incognito

Simplistic thinking like this is part of what allowed us all to be so blindsided by last night. You sound like conservatives who told me that because I was voting for Clinton, all of my principles were a lie. People make important decisions based on many factors and the available options. To me, the Supreme Court, the Iran deal etc. were crucially important, but not enough to carry the day when they came along with trump. To trump voters, decency is not a lie, it just lost out to other priorities. I agree that this is sad and misguided, and if this is what gets you through the night, run with it. It's just not accurate.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

In a spot where immigration was such a dog-whistle issue and the winning economic plan is for the most part fantastical economic promises, I guess we'll have to disagree.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We're definitely in unchartered water.

How's he going to govern? Who's he going to hire to fill his cabinet, and other top roles?

Who's he going to appoint to the SCOTUS?

And, I still can't believe Mitch McConnell's SCOTUS gambit paid off. Incredible. Conservatives may end up being disappointed in Trump's pick in the long run, but holy shit, they prevented the Dems from replacing Scalia.

(And, to be clear -- hi @outofplace -- I'm not celebrating this tactic. I think Obama's pick deserved an up and down vote at the very least, was more than qualified, and deserved to be confirmed. I'm just shocked that McConnell's strategy worked, that it held, and that it wasn't made irrelevant by a Clinton victory.)

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I just happen to have two unopened bottles of Moet in the fridge!

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Daily News on verge of meltdown.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.