1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't just one part of a broad range of rules that just let 48% of the vote win unchecked power.

All that said, it isn't going to change no matter how much I whine, so Democrats better get used to sucking up to rural voters

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He didn't even say daughterfucker once.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The actuarial tables will determine the fate of the rural vote.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the thing about the Trump presidency that frightened me more than anything. More than the racism, sexism, ignorance of public policy, etc. The guy is both impulsive and has no real beliefs. Whatever works for the audience works for him. It's not lying, he believes every word even he contradicts himself in the next sentence. If he's a con man, his primary mark is himself. I honestly at this point would not be surprised by anything that happens in his administration. He could be the wannabe fascist some fear. He could also wake up one morning in year two and announce he's becoming a Democrat (again). Then say the exact opposite at lunch.

wicked likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's going to get worse for you not better.

RickStain likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tin soldiers and Trump is coming,
    We're finally on our own ...

swingline likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

2/3 majorities needed in the House and Senate, so hold your horses.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I reject your premise that the Founding Fathers built a system that works.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Both of those facts are true, but also misleading.
    One of the reasons she will get the most votes ever is because there's more people than ever in the country and voting. She's gotten about 60.8 million votes and Trump is at 60.2 million. There weren't even 60 million people in the U.S. until 1890, and we didn't hit 120 million until 1930. Not sure how many votes are still being counted, but she and Trump are both going to be in the top five on that list.

I get what you're saying about the popular vote. But Trump won 30 1/2 states (Maine split its electoral votes) compared to 20 1/2 (including DC) for Hillary. If you take out California and New York, where she won by a combined 4.2 million votes, she lost the popular vote by a wide margin as well. That's not an insignificant stat.
    Winning the presidency requires you to compete in 50 elections, not one. There's a reason for that.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The "reason" is a shitty one.

Taking out a huge chunk of the population is not a meaningful argument

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, they weren't sure if it was the WH or the Capitol as the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.