1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is the @YankeeFan argument. But Democrats weren't advocating a constitutional amendment barring gay marriage.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So? What does that mean? That they weren't against it that much, but Republicans were too against it?

If you're against slavery, guns, abortion, or curbs on free speech, why would it be a negative to want the power of the Constitution behind your beliefs?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As a conservative Midwest yokel with a wife and kids, mortgage and a 5-minute commute to work, we love visiting NYC. And we love the people of New York.

I always found them to be incredibly helpful when I am playing the role of the lost and clueless Clark Griswold between Midtown, Chinatown and Battery Park.

We love living in the Midwest but it's not necessarily because the people are any nicer. They're not. I always believed Minnesota Nice was BS as I lived there for six years and found them provincial and not terribly accepting of outsiders.

I've told our daughter that if she wants to live in NYC when she's older, to go for it.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alice and I have often discussed moving to NYC now that we're retired. Good health care, don't need a car, lots to do, all things appealing to seniors.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Republicans also opposed measures like adding sexual orientation as a protected class in state discrimination laws.

6. YankeeFan

Are we skipping right past my last post?

7. Michael_ Gee

There is a very easy way for Pres-elect Trump to validate the Republican party's opposition to bigotry. He can condemn, loudly and proudly, the random attacks on women and minorities and anti-Semitic words and actions by people claiming to be his supporters. It would be not merely morally right, but the best way of reassuring folks he's a "normal" politician (there's no such thing, of course). If he does not, well I will draw my own conclusions.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

10. Michael_ Gee

There is quite a difference between nonviolent protest and assaults on total strangers. If Trump denounces the latter, he could ask the demonstrators to give him a chance. But this is the first amendment in action.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Man, you have GOT to stop using Boom/Earthman's dictionary.

Eh, we like the Met Museum (and its sister, the Cloisters). Pretty much hate everything else about New York. Subways look third world by comparison.

12. YankeeFan

Meanwhile, more reports being exposed as hoaxes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.