1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You're underestimating this bunch.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They did more than regain control. Supreme Court justices can be removed by majority vote of both houses of Congress and the consent of the president.

As soon as the open Scalia seat is filled, the Congress will move to declare Ginsburg and Breyer physically infirm and unable to fulfill their duties and remove them. Thus the GOP/Trumper control of the SCOTUS goes from a tenuous and sometimes shaky 5-4 to an ironclad bulletproof 7-2.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't?

4. Starman

I give it a 50-50 shot to survive until September.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I should have invested in pearl futures.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Please, they would if they could, and will if they can.

“Five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The Court twisted the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment beyond recognition. To echo Scalia, we dissent. We, therefore, support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide such fundamental social questions.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/us/politics/republican-party-issues.html

Which side created the silly notion that the unborn has "civil rights"?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm as cynical as anybody but this is getting more depressing with each post. If they pull that stunt they will have ended democratic rule. Ryan is actually the one who scares me the most. Wants to get rid of Medicare and Social Security while continuing to line the pockets of the wealthy.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Star, at some point you have to have some faith that most Americans would be appalled by and would resist blatant power-seizing or you give up and emigrate ASAP. Just posting doomsday scenarios here doesn't cut it.

9. Starman

Yup
    Yup
    Yup

10. Starman

There was an election Tuesday. Did you see the results?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, I hear you on the semantic "not a civil right" argument. But other than telling you that you can't own slaves, is there a Constitutional Amendment that tells people what they CAN'T do? It doesn't belong within 1 million miles of the Constitution.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, wait a minute ... if it ain't in the Constitution, it ain't a civil right. I know I've heard that 'round here somewhere. So if you somehow get it in there, how can it be that you've "enshrined your opposition to a civil right"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.