1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

And I love the "millennial map" by the way - it's always interesting to see how the dumbest demographic in our country sees things.
    Of course a good number of them will outgrow their stupidity. We hope.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why is that in any way a problem?

I used to cover Divide County, North Dakota. There are more people in a half-mile radius of me right now than have ever set foot in Divide County, North Dakota.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No. If he got as much or slightly fewer votes than a guy who got blown out four years ago then he didn't flip independents or Dems to his side. He didn't convience anyone new. It means she had fewer people vote for her.

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I can see how my post came across as sarcastic, that was not my intent. I was initially skeptical about Hillary. As I looked into it seemed to me although she was not a polished speechmaker, she was an excellent manager and leader. I thought she had the potential to be better than Barry . For me, the election was a punch in the gut for no other reason than because he represented the belief that it was OK for police to murder/manslaughter people and not be held accountable.

Tump has greatly enabled racists who prior to him making it acceptable, were embarrassed to opine openly. Now these ass-clowns are coming out of the woodwork to be identified which in the long run would be good.

At the same time I realize that the "grab her by the, build the wall, etc", the former unintentional, was humanizing to many folks who looked on with honest and deserved contempt on the SJW culture.

Things are not binary. For example the majority of black churchgoers (mostly women) do not support gay marriage. At the same time there has been for years and years a more or less openly gay male contingent in the black church who are accepted by these same churchgoers.

5. Just the facts ma am

Another thought on BLM. Here's the thing, while black people were statistically much more likely to be unjustifiably shot by the police, it routinely happened to white people too. But here is the unintended consequence, because black people were more likely to scream and yell, those shootings got the vast majority of attention. It made the issue appear binary (us vs. them) where in reality it was much more complicated. The issue is more accurately stated as "hold police accountable for unjustified shootings and brutality".
    Notice that no mention of race is required so no buttons are pushed. Not a handy slogan that can be shouted out in a demonstration though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Watched the entire 60 Minutes interview. Trump did backpedal (or at least soft pedal) on a couple of the hot button issues — marriage equality, wall vs. fence, stacking the court to repeal Roe v. Wade, yet still managed to blame the media for all his bad publicity.

One other takeaway I had is that Donald Trump Jr. appears even more arrogant and smug than his father, which is saying something. He only spoke on camera once, but was smirking or staring daggers at Lesley Stahl every other time they showed him either up close or in a wide shot. The other Trump kids seemed genuinely awed by the moment and gracious, but not Don Jr.

7. Just the facts ma am

Obama put out an executive order saying a juvenile male could use a juvenile female restroom if they wanted to and vice versa and if you didn't go along he would withhold federal funds for your school. I submit that this, from a strictly strategical political perspective, was a bad move.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Last exit poll I saw showed Trump won among independents with 48 percent to 42 for Clinton.

2016 election results: National Exit polls

Did Romney win the independent vote?

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I fumbled on my response to you. No sleep and scotch got the best of me. I apologize.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. Republicans always win the independent vote because a huge chunk of self-identified independents are conservatives. Democrats make it up by being more numerous.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bikers rescue stranded Bruce Springsteen - CNN.com

1) Bikers stop and help a stranded Bruce Springsteen on the roadside when his motorcycle dies.

2) Bruce takes the bunch to a nearby bar for brews and happily poses for pics until his pickup ride arrives.

Nice story, right?

Nope. Hundreds of Trumper Pepes on Facebook dogpile with threats and obscenities on the page of the American Legion post of several of the bikers, forcing the page to be shut down.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My guess is that a lot of them will learn something looking back. They'll remember it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.