1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The left seems to think they can draw more flies with vinegar than with honey.

Between Occupy, #BLM, and now the anti-Trump marches/demonstrations/riots, they push away people who might be sympathetic to their cause, forcing them to choose sides.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

These groups have legitimate grievances, though, particularly #BLM. I can't say that the proper move is to ignore them out of political expediency.

3. YankeeFan

He'll be the least ideological president elected in at least a generation.

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Least ideological nominee in decades.

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

I also think that he is coming to this office with fewer set hard-and-fast policy prescriptions than a lot of other presidents might be arriving with. I don’t think he is ideological. I think ultimately is, he is pragmatic in that way. And that can serve him well as long as he has got good people around him and he has a clear sense of direction.

Read President Obama's Remarks From His First Post-Election Press Conference

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have no doubt it's an efficient life saver for many people. It's just that once you've seen this, well . . . :)

[​IMG]

5. Dick Whitman

That's a nice way of putting it. Another way of putting it is that he is completely bereft of actual thoughts and ideas.

Killick likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

His one big idea -- Make America Great Again -- said more than anything Hillary tried to put out there.

What was Hillary's campaign about?

7. Dick Whitman

What does anything I said have to do with Hillary Clinton?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The entire history of Brietbart News is just a big misunderstanding.

And, even if it wasn't, Bannon certainly didn't run the company or know anything about it, like the company claims, or like he himself and everyone around him has said.

And he totally misspoke when he said the news website to which he is in no meaningful way connected is a "platform for the alt-right."

#postfactualworld

Killick likes this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Is it a reach for me to think the Bannon hire is a distraction to make potential hires like Giuliani and Bolton look OK by comparison?

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Spectacular deflection.

Can we expect this for the next four years?

"Yeah but Hillary .... !"

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

Bannon's Breitbart definitely went after feminism. But, that's because their premise was that feminism had lost its way; that it was no longer pro-woman, but anti-man, and ultra liberal. The personification of this attitude is/was Milo Yiannopoulos, a gay man.

Now, maybe they're off base, but folks like @sportsguydave would say the same thing.

I think we also have to look at how the alt-right is defined, and who's defining it. I think Bannon has said that it may appeal to some creeps, but isn't defined by them. So, when he calls his site a platform of the alt-right, he's not including racists or anti-Semites.

But, seriously, maybe Bannon is a vicious racist and anti-Semite. But, he's a 62-year-old guy, who's hosted a daily radio show, who worked in Hollywood, and at Goldman Sachs, and no one he's worked with has called him either of these things, and we have no on the record comments from him that could be described as racist or anti-Semitic.

You'd think there might be some standard of evidence required to publicly, repeatedly call someone a racist and anti-Semite.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Stronger Together (unless we lose, in which case all fucking bets are off)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.