1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Towards the end it was about not being Trump.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Enjoy the next 8 years Justin.

At least Trump wont blame his failures on George W. Bush.

3. YankeeFan

Exactly.

The smartest, most experienced, most qualified nominee in history couldn't make a better case for herself other than that she wasn't Trump.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is there someone defending her campaign at this point that you are arguing with?

5. YankeeFan

Trump, the big dummy, had a succinct "elevator pitch" that connected with people.

Hillary, the smart one, had no elevator pitch, and never connected with people.

Maybe if she had run on issues, she could have beaten a guy who did not run on issues. But, she didn't, or couldn't.

6. Dick Whitman

See prior post.

7. Dick Whitman

I could come out today and take a bunch of contradictory, half-baked positions. It's what most Americans seem to do. It's what Trump does. Maybe he's non-ideological. More likely, he just isn't very thoughtful. Bringing up the fact that he defeated Hillary Clinton over and over again is not a response to this.

8. YankeeFan

Sorry. I'm having a tough time remembering that everyone who told us how brilliant Hillary was for 25 years, how her campaign was fantastic, and how she'd win big, has suddenly disowned those beliefs, and moved on.

People backed this woman for decades, but I'm supposed to be embarrassed by Trump before he's even taken office?

Nope.

We were told that Obama's 2008 campaign was evidence that he could manage an organization, and do well.

Well, Trump beat the same candidate, and deserves the same benefit of the doubt.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Facile election explanations are useless and misleading. One of the infinite number of social/econonic/racial subgroups in our society, rural white people, broke far more strongly for Trump than they had for Romney, allowing Trump to win the electoral college despite losing the popular vote because said group has relatively large number within a specific geographic area. The problem with election postmortems is that they ignore how much overlap there is among the groups they purport to explain. I use myself for an example. I am in many groups, age group, race, income level, education level, political opinions, etc. But I only have one vote. Same goes for the 130 million odd other voters. Trying to say an election was about only one thing, of if Candidate X had only done this or that is to try and impose narrative on an event that defies it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump is going to turn the nation into Alabama.

11. Dick Whitman

I have read his books. I have seen him debate 15 times, probably. He does not have ideas. He does not have a world view. The fact that "everyone" said that Hillary Clinton is "brilliant" is utterly immaterial.

Yes, at the end, I thought she would win big. I didn't think that all along. In fact, I was predicting that Trump would be the Republican nominee when others didn't think he would make it to Super Tuesday. I sounded the alarm plenty of times throughout the general election campaign. The evidence is all over this thread. Usually, I was accused of being a "troll." I thought she would win "big," not because I think she's "brilliant," but because that is what the polls uniformly indicated on the morning of the election.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

To employ your crutch: LOL. Did you sleep through the last eight years? The GOP has been so fueled by vinegar, it should have been sponsored by Summer's Eve.

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.