1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump won, and everyone expects him to come to them.

And, so Cohen is surprised that Trump intends to set the agenda in his administration.

Who's the arrogant one?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure he met with them? He said he had "exchanges" with them. Who knows how that went down? He might have contacted them looking for a job, and they told him to get lost. The guy signed a letter during the campaign in which he called Trump "hateful," "dishonest," "dangerous," "erratic," and generally unfit for the presidency.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, I'm shocked he wasn't welcomed with open arms into the Trump administration:

It’s over. Donald Trump, a man utterly unfit for the position by temperament, values and policy preferences, will be the Republican nominee for president. He will run against Hillary Clinton, who is easily the lesser evil but is trailed by clouds of scandal and misconduct and whose party’s left wing poses its own threats to liberties of speech, religion, enterprise and association.

It is time for a third candidate, and probably for a third party.

Trump’s impending nomination means it’s time for a third party

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are right, Ragu. But this is after an article in which he swallowed his pride to urge service. Successful administrations attempt to build bridges to their in-party critics (there are always some). It's the rejection that's important here. If they want to rule, not govern, we will all be in crisis mode quite shortly after Jan. 20.
    Trump had the wit to praise Obama and the Clintons in his first interview. His underlings seem to lack that insight.

6. YankeeFan

Trump is going to need some folks who didn't support him to work with him.

And, he'll have to humble himself some to do so. But, folks who called him unfit for the office will have to humble themselves a bit too.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every time he does something I approve of, I will praise him, as I did in the above post, and when he condemned post-election violence. No President, even the ones I loathed, have ever been shut out on the Gee Presidential Approval Scoreboard.
    BTW, Rand Paul has said he "is not inclined" to support either Giuliani or Bolton for SoS.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I dunno. I think Trump is a giant orange bullshit artist. And I think his presidency is likely to be a disaster.

But I think you are being unreasonable. You build bridges. But expecting him to invite this guy into his administration would be a bit like wondering why he doesn't name Hillary Clinton as his secretary of state in the name of unity.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not really. They don't need to work there. He does need them in order to maintain stability and credibility. But maybe he doesn't care about any of our relationships around the world or any institutional knowledge in the world of diplomacy or intelligence. I guess we'll see.

But nobody needs to humble himself to work for Donald Trump. Hell, they'd be humbling themselves enough by taking a government salary.

10. YankeeFan

Oh, they want to work there. There are always plenty of folks who want these jobs. Cohen wanted a job, or else he wouldn't have approached them.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They want to work there if the conditions are right. He also brings a level of expertise that Trump and his minions apparently don't care for. And this is where the presence of Bannon might play a role. If you want an anti-Semite, anti-Muslim, basically anti-everything-but-white-Christian making decisions around the world, that isn't a good sign.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Charlie Brown's teacher thing was cute, Dickie, but it is a failing on your part, not mine.
    And YF, the topic is Bannon's fitness to be an adviser to President Trump. Evidence was provided that calls his fitness into question and you ducked it. In fact, you continue to duck it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.