1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm going with BYM's take on this, although I understand you can't pin this on any one thing.

Trump's victory was a huge fuck-you from middle America to liberal, white-collar "city slickers." They got sick of being told they weren't smart enough to move this country. Whether you agree with that or not, you've got to understand how that could make you feel disenfranchised.

Cosmo and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, do the updated popular vote totals that TigerVols and others are citing -- which mostly reflect additional votes out of California -- also include newly counted absentee ballots from across the country?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You called it a "fucking rout," which isn't accurate, either. He won Wisconsin by 1 point. He won Pennsylvania by just over 1 point. He won Michigan by .3 points. He won Florida by 1.3 points.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If one out of 100 voters switch from Trump to Clinton in Fla,, Mich., Pa., and Wis., Clinton wins. That's a pretty slim margin.

5. YankeeFan

And he could have lost any one of those states and still won.

It wasn't a squeaker.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

They should. The numbers in many states are still unofficial as the final totals are still being rung up. Vote doesn't get certified here until Friday and some counties are still working on their provisional and absentee totals. Absentee ballots just have to be postmarked by election day, here, so many came in several days after the election.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If the Medicare trust found is exhausted in 2027, rather than in 2026, that's a fucking rout as re: its going bankrupt.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

In most states, absentee ballots need to be received before polls close. Only a few states have "postmarked by" deadlines.

9. YankeeFan

Folks here were predicting a big win by Hillary Clinton -- over 300 electoral votes!

So, now Trump wins by the margin they predicted for Clinton, and these same people want to call it a squeaker.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let 'em call it that ... it's good sportsmanship.

11. Dick Whitman

But it wasn't a "fucking rout," either.

And, besides, losing a "squeaker," if we're going to argue semantics, does not salvage her campaign. She should be ashamed of herself, for a very, very long time. She should go to her deathbed some day at least a little bit ashamed of what happened, though, like I said, it feels a little bit like blaming Gerry Faust for being bad.

12. Dick Whitman

If she had won Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania by 1 point or less, I would not have said that was a "fucking rout," I promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.