1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How often did we hear "Trump has to win Florida, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania to have a pathway to a win."? He did it. She couldn't stop him. She ran an awful campaign.

He won the election. The rest is "what if, if only", and it's all academic.

The other side of the coin is that the Republicans pretending that they have some huge mandate of the American people is bullshit, not when they did not gain a majority of the vote.

Deskgrunt50 and TowelWaver like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There will be other American elections (hopefully), beginning two years from now.

It is more than an academic exercise to discuss what the Democrats did wrong in states they usually win.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Advertising in Omaha also gets you into western Iowa, but the point stands.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I found Hillary's complete pitfall to be by far the most interesting thing about this debacle. Sorry. I was told how utterly brilliant she was and it turned out to be not even close. I'm not done reading about it.

wicked, HanSenSE, YankeeFan and 2 others like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah. Funny how JUST ENOUGH votes mysteriously flipped when the totals were coming in.

Almost like somebody had run a computer analysis to figure out precisely which votes they needed.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The object is not to get the most total votes. what did getting the most total votes get herr? It got her out walking the dog after the election instead of organizing her transition team.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There will be another election in two years. Period. A post mortem "What did we get wrong? What did we do that worked and how can we build upon?" is healthy. Arguing about how large the popular vote margin was when you got smoked in the Electoral College isn't, other than in the sense of "How do we get it right and win next time?"

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tovarich, I think we finally got Moose and Squirrel

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's true but Omaha is also a TV market that catches about 15 counties in SW and Western Iowa. You have to buy ads there.

Her commercials in rural America had the same message as the rest of the country. Stronger. Together. But they didn't tell a story about the Midwest and economic recovery.

She didn't need more visits as she isn't terribly magnetic in person. She needed more targeted ads in these states.

The "rural Midwest" isn't just all wasteland, methheads and closed factories, however. If you have a college degree, are ambitious, have a filter and aren't an asshole to work with, you can make a very good living with little overhead.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I know it's as pointless as the Presidential popular vote, but does anyone have the nationwide vote totals on the HofR? I'd not be at all surprised to find that the GOP "won" that.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Karma, part Infinity plus 2

It's no secret that Donald Trump campaigned as a champion of gun rights, but a Trump administration poses both welcome relief and an immediate problem for the gun industry.

For Larry Cavener, who recently visited a new gun shop Tactical Advantage in Overland Park, Kan., this election means he can breathe easier.

"This means that we're not gonna be under siege for a few years, and it seems like it has been," Cavener says.

But the Obama years have actually been awesome for the U.S. gun industry. It's roughly doubled in size, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, an industry trade group.

Trump's surprise victory didn't just hurt store sales, it slammed gun company stocks. Two of big manufactures — Smith & Wesson and Sturm Ruger — saw their stocks plummet because the industry is losing a very potent and enduring moneymaker.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Last I saw, GOP 52-48

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.