1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, so no one cares about my Facebook feed, but I gotta share this: One of my old sportswriter friends has gone full tilt New Age/Millennial (which is absolutely NOT a good luck for a white guy in his mid-50s, I gotta say), and today he put up a link to a youtube talk by a guy he refers to as "America's top economist." Now I'm certainly no economics sage, but if the guy really was in the ballpark of "top economist" ... don't you think I'd have at least heard of him?

Inky_Wretch, HanSenSE and RickStain like this.
  2. doctorquant

I would too. It'll never happen, though, seeing as how busy the Democratic party is with the fightfor15.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Top economist" sounds like being "champagne of bottled beer" to me. It's a slogan, not a reality.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe because the Fucking president (or president-elect) should and does have many many more important things to do?

And if he doesn't know what they are, I could write him a Fucking list. Unlike pretty much anybody on Team Trump, I watched The West Wing. And I even got B grades in my history and poli sci classes. Sometimes better.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No. He's not.

Still not sure why he shouldn't push back.

7. doctorquant

In my friend's usage, I think it translates to "economist who says my worldview is correct" ...

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Liberals fantasizing about punching Trump in the mouth for the next 8 years should be fun.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Just did an article on the 30th anniversary of The Color of Money being released and what the film did for the popularity of pocket billiards. Talked to the former president of Murrey Billiards, which supplied tables for the film. The movie resulted in 10 times the tables orders. A decade later the were out of the business totally and I asked why.

"China. China was making a table as quality as ours and at one-third of what our cost was."

And that's just fucking pool tables. You can imagine the difference throughout the economy. Yeah, those jobs aren't coming back.

dirtybird likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

By 2020 $15 will be the equivalent of $9 today. Big Macs will cost ten bucks each.

11. doctorquant

I was surprised to hear that about the tables (the supplies, that wouldn't surprise me at all), then I did a bit of the Google and found out that for a very long time China (along with Brazil and Italy) has been a prime source for billiards table slate.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More or less fun than conservatives fantasizing about shipping Obama back to Kenya the last 8 years?

Spartan Squad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.