1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've read only a few of his, usually when they've been pointed to by one or another economist I follow. But I have to respect anybody who keeps at the ready this bromide: "Doctors bury their mistakes, architects cover theirs with vines, [and] teachers send theirs into politics."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I definitely think Hillary lost because of fake news being used against her. But it has been used against her for 30 years. Didn't help that she gave them some true stuff to chew on.

However, there were more crazy obviously fake political news posts passed around this past month than I have ever seen. People wanted to believe them. I think it hurt Hillary.

Heck, I think she would be a great president. But if she won, I was not looking forward to four or eight years of her being attacked for things real and imagined. I was tired of that in the 1990s. So I can imagine others did not want to go there at all.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. But I don't think he was "lying." If he could build a wall, he'd build a wall. He can't build a wall.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was misunderstood each and every one of the approximately 2.6 billion times he said "I'm going to build a wall."

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I check into Zero Hedge several times a day. I skip over most of the political stuff (it is a relatively small part of what they do), although they gave a lot of play to the wikileaks e-mails and I saw some things (all factual, for what it is worth) that were largely ignored by other places.

With regard to their macroeconomic and market-based stuff, yeah, they definitely have a very contrarian point of view, but it would also be very unfair to say that they are not "grounded in facts." Most of their stuff is more grounded in fact, and is better reasoned than the stuff you get off of CNBC or Bloomberg's websites, which regurgitate investor-friendly narratives spit out by a handful of Wall Street companies that are in business to sell people risk assets, Those more mainstream (I hate that word with regard to the media, but. ...) sites are 90 percent cheerleaders for markets. Which is why they cheerlead the bubbles leading to the housing crisis and failed to give credence to people who were pointing out reality.

The site actually does some very good investigative reporter. For example, they have published some interesting things about high-frequency trading that you would never have found elsewhere. At the same time, politically they have come across as ridiculously pro Putin, anti Obama. And their point of view drips of it. That doesn't make their stuff false. The world is more nuanced than "Putin bad! America virtuous!"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So about those manufacturing jobs he is bringing back, can YF explain exactly what he meant.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    SnarkShark likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kind of like the salesman who promises you that he'll waive the charge for rustproofing to get the sale but then the general manager insists on including it when it's time to sign the deal?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't. I think people overestimate how much "news", fake or otherwise, influences people's perceptions of candidates. People don't go through this elaborate search process, carefully taking things into account before arriving at a decision. Rather, they arrive at a decision and then, on occasion, look to structure an explanation for it.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not suggesting that at all.

I'm genuinely curious about how the day will look.

Marine One waiting outside the Capital for the former President is a cool sight.

And, then there's the question of how warm a send off does the incoming president give the outgoing one. Bush and Reagan were warm towards each other. Then Reagan gives one final salute before they close the door to Marine One, which is returned by GHWB, who looks like the eldest son, who's been given the keys to the company. He looks a little excites; a little scared, and a little sad to see his father leave.

Obama and Michelle walk GWB and Laura all the way to the Marine One, and they are all hugs and kisses. It's kind of sweet.

Obama and Trump didn't even do a photo op with their wives when Trump came to the WH the day after the election.

Do they shake hands as Obama exits? Embrace? Kisses for the wives?

Does Marine One fly him off somewhere, or do we get a less dramatic exit by limo?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I heard an NPR story on that from PA on that. The steel and coal workers knew that there was no way those jobs were coming back but just liked hearing him say it, I guess.

Also, even Mitch McConnell now says that it was market forces that are largely the reason for losing all those coal jobs in Kentucky. Obama (and Hillary) didn't really take away those jobs, and the Republicans aren't getting them back.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The amount he won't be able to do will be historic, thanks largely to his personality.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But we wasn't misunderstood by his supporters.

Only the brilliant beltway elites, and the folks who voted for Hillary, misunderstood him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.