1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Could Donald Trump’s border wall really just be a virtual wall? Not according to Trump.

And when people have suggested that the wall is impractical or not going to happen, Trump's response has always been the same: It's not the difficult, and it'll be a real wall.

He even said this on no fewer than three occasions last week. "We are going to have a real wall," Trump said during an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

And in remarks airing Wednesday night during a Fox News town hall: "And it will be a real wall. It will be a real wall. It won't be one of these little toys that you see every once in a while, our government throws up a little wall like this."

And this from a rally Wednesday in Tampa: “We’re going to build a wall, don’t you worry about it. We’re going to build a wall. We’re going to build the wall, and Mexico is going to pay for the wall, 100 percent. And it’s going to be a big wall. It’s going to be a real wall. It’s going to be as beautiful as a wall can be, but it’s going to be a wall."

And in remarks from that same town hall airing Tuesday night:

HANNITY: I want to talk about — you've said a lot of things about immigration. Let's start with, I guess, your signature issue on immigration, which is you're going to build the wall.

TRUMP: Yes, 100 percent....

HANNITY: Here's my question —

TRUMP: Well, you know, what has been interesting that I've been watching over the last week or two, and they've been saying, 'Oh, well maybe he won't build the wall, maybe he won't' —

HANNITY: Jeb Bush said that. Jeb Bush said, "He'll never build the wall."

TRUMP: Oh, he said that a long time ago. I think —(BOOS)

TRUMP: I think people now realize we're building the wall. It's going to happen. It's 100 percent simple. You know, I tell the story all the time, the Great Wall of China, 13,000 miles long. This is 1,000 miles and we have Caterpillar tractors to build, okay? It's 1,000 miles — it's 2,000, but we need 1,000. And it's so easy to do. And it gets higher and higher and higher every time somebody says I'm not going to build it.

SnarkShark, Riptide and Dick Whitman like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As much as I recoil at his racism, sexism and general contempt for a majority of the country, what disturbs me most about Trump is his ignorance of our system of government. He is in no way qualified to hold this position.
    Just read his responses here:
    How Much Can We Logically Expect Donald Trump to Learn on the Job?

He wants Roe v. Wade overturned and vows to achieve it by appointing conservative SCOTUS justices. Yet he doesn't think Obergefell can be overturned. He calls it "settled law." And this differs from Roe how, exactly? He doesn't know. As of now, states can't impose total bans on abortion, and they can't prevent same-sex couples from getting married. Both are subject to reversal in the next iteration of SCOTUS. And the man who will lead this country doesn't know that.

Yet enough of this country doesn't care. And these are the people who claim exclusive domain over vales and patriotism.

American Exceptionalism.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think there was a single politician this cycle who wasn't for securing the border.

So why did this resonate so much?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Normally the Gitmo grunts would be put on trial if they had committed horrific acts or still constituted threats.

If not, they would be released.

We were told they could not be put on trial because of horrible things that would be revealed in the trial and they were still threats to commit terrorist acts.

Fine. Smoke 'em. Disappear 'em. Drop 'em in the trench.

Why the fuck were several hundred of them still around 5-6-7 years later when Obungo arrived? (Or today for that matter.) Why the fuck was it his problem? Why didn't the big bad badass Mission Accomplished problem solvers of Team Bush/Cheney take care of it?

God knows they had already proved themselves monumentally unconcerned over human rights or international law or any of that bullshit, so why all of a sudden did they grow consciences?

Mainly so they could drop the whole shitload in the lap of the mooslim neegro, that's why (although most of the time They figured it would be onto the lap of the crooked lesbian granny).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

@Starman pragmatism.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I tell you what, one year from now, I bet you the Gitmo problem is "solved."

Fuck, Trump will probably televise the executions. Pay-per-view. Probably contract with WWE to televise the festivities. Hulk Hogan, Clint Eastwood, Bobby Knight and Sarah Palin as celebrity color commentators.

Monday Night Executions on TrumpSports.Com!! Right in between gassing baby seals and drowning illegal immigrant puppies!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Please stop using this logical shorthand. A lot of people did not understand this. A lot of people took him at face value.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He hasn't even been inaugurated yet.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gallup poll taken 11/9-11/13. Trump's favorable/unfavorable 42-55. WaPo poll taken same time. 59 percent of respondents said they want Trump to compromise with Democrats vs. 29 who said he had a mandate. He will be President and do a lot, but not without risk. Politically speaking, he's working with little margin for error. A decisive group including many voted for him are willing to turn if dissatisf

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thank God we have YF here to interpret those bolded words spoken by Trump - the straightest shootin', teller like it is-er in the US of A.

Riptide, dixiehack and TowelWaver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.