1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Do you believe a young women who is a teacher in Baltimore is a Trump supporter?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is silly. People believed Trump when he said he was going to build a wall. Trump probably believed Trump when he said he was going to build a wall.

Trump is not going to build a wall and it won't matter to the people who voted for him. This kind of shit happens all the damn time.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not silly. It's tracking the incoming POTUS's record on completing his campaign promises. People remember broken ones like not closing Gitmo, but they especially remember bold ones that people really embraced like "Read my lips, no new taxes."

About 70 percent of campaign promises are kept by recent Presidents. So let's keep up with which ones fall into the 30 percent (or more) Trump waffles, negotiates or ignores over the next four years.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK shottie. Some people took him at face value.

Most understood what he was talking about.

Most will not care if he builds a wall, or a fence, as long as he secures the border.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

CNBC just quoted someone close to Trump, anonymously saying that Trump is going to meet with Mitt Romney this weekend about Secretary of State.

6. YankeeFan

Mitt Romney would be an incredible SoS. Much better than Rudy, and it would completely rock the "don't work with him, they're too busy screaming YOU LOST!!! at people," narrative.

Romney would be great at Treasury or the Fed too.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious.

Without a wall, what kind of tangible evidence will Joe American see as to how the illegal immigration problem is being handled?

And in November 2020, when it's time to go to the polls --- and examining what campaign promises were kept --- what kind of metric will be used to declare the border "secure" or not?

8. YankeeFan

If you accomplish the goal of the promise, but not the specifics of the promise, does it really matter?

With "no new taxes" or closing Gitmo, I'm not sure there's a way to accomplish the goal, while not fulfilling the specific promise.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Trump crowds were not chanting "build the metaphorical wall!" Yes supporters will probably be content with border security, but that's not what Trump campaigned on, that's not what Trump doubled down on when pressed and border security sure as hell isn't what he was vowing Mexico would pay for. Trump will likely, as he already is doing, come up with some reason why not building the wall is in fact him keeping his promise, but people believed that wall was coming.

I can't wait for the white washing around why Hillary won't be investigated further and how that too was just a metaphorical slogan not to be taken literally.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Definitely not lacking for material.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, but shottie pointing that out to him was just shottie being shottie. ;)

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. I was just getting at the idea that parsing what he said (and what others heard) is a worthwhile effort. A candidate for president who promises that which he can't deliver ain't exactly news. Neither is a candidate who promises that which he knows he can't deliver.

If Trump's voters turn on him, I doubt seriously it'll be because he didn't build a wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.