1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think booing Pence was right because it hurt a significant chance for him to actually learn something. But as someone smarter than me posted on Twitter, not the worst thing to ever happen to an American politician at a play.

2. Michael_ Gee

PS: One of the many oddities of the current situation is that no President ever has been as unpopular on their home turf as is Trump. Longtime Manhattan resident got around 59,000 votes from that county of New York state, roughly the same total as did Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876. It'd be as if Bernie Sanders came from the Villages and not Vermont.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, it was tone-deaf for Pence to show up. He made his notoriety as a talk-show host. You have to know your audience.

An audience for Hamilton in 2016 is an audience that doesn't have much experience with losing in life. If their Uber is two minutes late, they fire off an angry review. If their organic kale is a little too ripe, they'll cry about it on Instagram. They're still in full meltdown mode from November 8. Pence should have know that.

If I'm Comedy Central, I'm calling Stewart and offering $50 million to do TDS through the 2018 mid-terms. They've got two years to dust off their Cheney/Haliburton material and update it with Pence as the new Cheney/Quayle.

For all of the crying and the drama on the left, all they have to do is organize a little more, nominate fewer "let them eat cake" candidates, realize for most people in the Blue Wall that Clinton lost, there are bigger issues than whether someone is LGTBQ or not, they should win back a boatload of seats in 2018.

The Democratic Party is not dead but it needs a better focus away from the coasts. The 2010/14/16 results are the political equivalent of the Wolves losing all those first-round draft picks over Joe Frickin Smith. It's just starting to affect them now because hundreds of potential high-office candidates got voted out at the state, House or Senate levels. Outside of Elizabeth Warren and O'Malley, whose left? Yes, it sucks when great potential is not carried to full term.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    I Should Coco and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll stipulate the above is true if Democrats will throw away the "Why doesn't Trump hold rallies in states he lost?" bullshit.

"You need to be around the people that don't like you to help mend things . . . just expect us to boo the hell out of you."

That's what you want. You don't really want to see any mending done. You just want to see confrontation and reaction to said confrontation. Sad!

5. Michael_ Gee

It was dumb. Shunning, the absolute refusal to recognize he was even there, would have been better. But since his own rallies included frequent cries to imprison Trump's opponent, what did he expect? For all their wails about how political correctness is killing free speech, the right just can't seem to tolerate opposition that's as vehement as it is. A smart politician would absorb the boos as a data point for future planning. I mean, come on. We've all covered notable pols appearing at sports events. I've seen many pols from both parties booed to the skies by the crowds, too.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Folks are really upset by this quote. But, isn't it true?

Islam is a political ideology. It is a political ideology. It definitely hides behind this notion of it being a religion.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Run out of new material?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pence needs to realize that's what happens when you join a ticket that campaigns on little other than unrepentant assholery.

Suck it up, buttercups.

9. YankeeFan

So, is there an equivalent event to Hamilton that it would have been tone-deaf for Obama or Clinton to attend, and completely appropriate for the crowd to boo them, and disrupt the event?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking a Church service.

Amirite?

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

No.

It's not true.

Glad we settled that.

11. YankeeFan

Oh, no. Trump's own anti-gay attitudes earned him the wrath if the Hamilton crowd.

The fucking hick should have gone to the Chili's in Times Square like usual.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't say "anti-gay," I said "assholery."

If you campaign for two years as a belligerent asshole, don't whine like a bitch when people treat you like one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.