1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why? They are both professed Christians.

2. Dick Whitman

Same with Christianity?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And Pence is a theater lover. So what?

It's about offending the sensibilities of the other attendees, right?

4. Dick Whitman

How have Obama and Hillary offended the sensibilities of church-goers? Abortion?

Should Catholics have booed Scalia at Mass?

5. YankeeFan

Not at all. Christ always made clear that he was not a temporal ruler, and that religion and government were separate.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

Mohammad's religion makes no such distinction.

6. Dick Whitman

Someone alert Jerry Falwell.

7. YankeeFan

Liberals love to call Republicans "incurious".

Now, we saw an 18-month campaign, where precious few reporters or pundits bothered to even read the book(s) Donald Trump wrote, in an effort to try to understand him.

How many of the folks who are opining about General Flynn will bother to read his book?

8. YankeeFan

I don't understand you point?

A. Did Jerry Falwell make some claim to be a secular leader?

2. The followers of religions often get it wrong, requiring a period of reform, or even splintering of the religion. If Falwell, or someone else got it wrong, that doesn't mean Christianity is a political ideology, or was founded as such. It's impossible to claim that Muhammad founded his movement as anything other than a combination of religion and political ideology.

9. Dick Whitman

Jesus was absolutely considered a political radical in his time.

10. YankeeFan

President Obama's position on marriage during the majority of his first term:

"I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. For me as a Christian."

So, I guess he avoided Broadway shows, huh?

Nope, May, 2009:

The Obamas escaped Washington on Saturday in search of a quintessential New York evening — dinner and a Broadway show.

They found it at Blue Hill, a low-key Greenwich Village restaurant, and at the Belasco Theater near Times Square for a performance of “Joe Turner’s Come and Gone,” the Tony-nominated August Wilson play.

Politics Can Wait: The President Has a Date

Oh, fuck. The crowd and cast must have really let him have it, huh?

No. Not really:

“I thought I was dreaming,” said Kecia McCowen, a 45-year-old utility worker and student from Brooklyn; she bought tickets for the show three days ago, but found out that the Obamas would be there only after she arrived. “I was like, stop playing!”
    When the Obamas walked down the aisle to take their seats, “it was utter pandemonium,” said Tim Johnson, who was in the audience, and described a scene of shouting, clapping and a long standing ovation.

Weird.

11. YankeeFan

By whom?

The Romans didn't give two shits about Jesus, until the religious leaders pressed them to take care of their problem.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We're arguing about the Bible now? OK. How many angels will wind up dancing on the top of this thread?

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.