1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but whether it's you, or @Starman, when folks try to imagine the horrible things that conservatives must be thinking privately, I can't help but think you're revealing your own deep thoughts.

Who thinks this way? A thought like that would never occur to me, and I would certainly never imagine it to be someone else's thought.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If your middle name's Beauregard, the burden of proof is on you.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Has Pence ever walked back any of his anti-gay rhetoric?

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So that's a "no," then. Thanks.

5. franticscribe

No.

6. doctorquant

When I'm at a musical, unless my daughter's in it I'm thinking:

A) How much longer will this last?

2) I hope this gets my ass out of trouble (with MommaQuant) for that drunk I pitched at the golf course last month.

HanSenSE, lcjjdnh and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Any Sunday NASCAR race and most country music festivals.

8. doctorquant

Frankly I don't know all that much about Sessions. What I do know is that, as re: the intersection of race and "the law," we may indeed be a nation of cowards, but we are definitely a nation of hysterics. So I'm inclined to discount (not dismiss) much of what I'm hearing about him.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

You know what? You are correct. I should have never assumed pence has any thoughts.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Politics has been trending in a real bad way for about a quarter century. The GOP went totally over the top in the vicious way it went after Bill Clinton, overplaying its hand with the very real grievances it had. Democrats doubled down on it when it was Bush 43's turn.

With Obama, the vitriol went off the charts, with right wingers dropping any pretense of respect (how mild would the Natalie Maines quip have sounded if repurposed by a Republican over the last eight years?) They blasted not only his policies (totally in bounds), but they smeared him for the ethnicity he had and the religion he didn't. They poisoned the public discourse and totally disregarded the long-term good of the country to win whatever political battle was happening right that instant.

And now we've had a completely unqualified celebrity personality win the White House by stoking rage and bringing out the very worst hatreds in people. He's transgressed on every norm of decency and now wants him and his toadies deferred to like royalty.

That's not how it works, especially not now.

Did they think blind hatred was just something to take out of the bottle to win elections and then put back inside once they've won? Did they think their enemies (in Trumpmerica, nobody really has "opponents" anymore) weren't capable of getting just as angry, just as hateful and lashing out just as much? Did they really get high on their own supply and think making America "great" (as they define it) was as easy as slapping a plagiarized slogan on a truckers cap and everything would bend to their will like magic?

This election cycle has done serious, maybe lasting, damage to the country. There's no guarantee we pull out of this nosedive because we're America and we're just the bestest, most special snowflake of a country ever.

Elections can be won, but respect is earned. If they want to lead the people, they can hear from a segment of those people that things are Not OK.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  11. franticscribe

While I generally agree with your point about hysterics, to ignore Sessions long history of opposition to civil rights because people overreact is to throw the baby out with the bath water.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have tickets in March for Mrs. W's birthday. If anyone wants to buy them for 3x face and then boycott the show, I'm willing to show that I'm being bipartisan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.