1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trump will get caught fucking Tia Tequila in the Oval Office.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This, "I don't want him to fail," thing is silly.

What do you mean by that?

Do you want him to succeed in his policy goals? Do you want him to succeed in building a wall?

We all want what's "best" for the country. But, when republicans -- and specifically Rush Limbaugh -- said they wanted Obama to "fail", they meant they wanted him to fail to implement his policies.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Without knowing many of the details of the case other than it was about to go to trial, I read the settlement as making the case go away before Trump takes office to avoid:
    1) A distraction
    2) A circus, since it was said he would testify
    3) A thorny issue of a sitting president involved in a lawsuit, and all of the conflicts of interest and fairness issues that go along with that
    4) An issue Trump's political opponents would easily exploit

In other words, it seemed to me as much a pragmatic decision as anything. Seeing the way he's dealt with things like this, he probably would've fought it and testified if he'd have lost the election. Now, he figures it's "small potatoes," to borrow one of his phrases.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They also wanted his policies, once implemented, to fail.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"I get away with everything" sounds pretty pragmatic to me.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the same time, if we hadn't seen this so many times before, like with Rosie O'Donnell, the Miss Universe contestants, SNL, sexual harassment and the news media in general ...

We may be headed for a meltdown of Nixonesque proportions if trade talks, legislative battles or foreign relations don't go his way. So I say again, someone take away his handheld devices until he finishes all his vegetables and cleans his room.

Inky_Wretch and SpeedTchr like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wrong. Our next president wants what's best for HIM. If it happens to also be what's best for the country, the rest of us should consider ourselves lucky.

I'm not holding my breath. Governance via self-glorification always works out so well for everyone.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except when Obama took office, the Republicans already had eight years of implementing their policies. Which were a proven failure in terms of the most important issues (Iraq, Great Recession) facing the country.

So what the Republicans really wanted was Obama to fail to clean up the mess that they made. Meaning they wanted the country to feel even more pain because the guy they hated was the one who had to clean up their mess. How patriotic of them.

Deskgrunt50 and FileNotFound like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hey, Mr. Fucking LOL, you don't get to deem what's silly and what isn't when all you do is spew propaganda.

My hope is since Trump has taken every side of every issue, some of the ones I care about will go my way. My hope is he doesn't totally wreck the economy. My hope is his thin-skin doesn't get us into a war.

It doesn't appear as if Trump intends to do half of the things he said he wanted to do, which is good to me.

Am I hoping for too much? Probably. But if you are actually trying to tell me that many citizens and government officials weren't doing everything they could to make Obama a failed president, that you're completely fucking delusional.

Maybe Trump will actually be a deal maker. I doubt it, but I hope so. Republicans quit governing over the last eight years, so there were no deals to be made.

Spare me the Rush Limbaugh bullshit. He wanted everything Obama did to fail, thus he wanted the country to fail.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This would make a great coffee mug for YF. Are you listening, Secret Santa?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My best hope for Trump's term of office is that he won't have created any new wars, depressions or widespread ethnic riots. If that happens, hopefully the country remains strong enough for the next president to stitch back together.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Neutral Corner and wicked like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every policy creates winners and losers. It was not incorrect of many Trump voters to perceive themselves as losers in the US of 2016. Too bad for them, however, unless Trump holds to his previous promise not to touch Medicare and Social Security, they will wind up losing more. The only way he can make up for that is to make sure the outgroups he denigrated, namely all non-white citizens, lose even more. It's not a formula for happy times. I think Trump actually does want to avoid another big ground war, but his natural pugnacity and stance towards Islam are gonna make that hard to do unless he swallows some of his ego. Which he could do. The very best thing that could happen to him is if some late night tweet early in his administration causes one of those quick, one-off market panics. Those heal themselves very quickly, and he'd be given a good lesson on the possible consequences of presidential actions without taking one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.