1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Bank of Scotland to investors: 'Sell everything'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Without central bank intervention (and to a lesser extent the meager stimulus that was applied) the 2008 recession would have destroyed the lives of exponentially more people.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They CAUSED what happened in 2008. They did MORE of what caused a giant credit mess that culminated with 2008 (and that hasn't gone away!). Way more of it. It was cowardly -- rather than face the medicine of what THEY caused through their stupidity, they doomed us to a much worse "destroying the lives of exponentially more people" at a later time. The hole they dug is that much deeper now. They took something bad. ... and made it worse.

Think this through. Yes, after 2008, we needed a massive deleveraging, complete with a lot of pain. It would not have been an 8 year period of pain if history is a guide. But yes, there is a price to pay when you create a very negative credit event via shortsighted behavior.

You seem to get this. Why would you believe that the answer to a credit problem is to embark on every scheme possible to create MORE credit to try to put off paying the price for the debt mess you created? And what do you think the inevitable end game of that behavior is?

3. cranberry

Ragu seems to believe if we had only allowed more human beings' lives to be destroyed we'd be better off now.

4. The Big Ragu

What I actually believe. ... is that was an asshole thing to post.

But yeah, I get that your default is to point out what a caring, paternalistic human being you are who has the prescription to bring joy to the world. ... and that anyone who doesn't want that brand of paternalism that has made a complete mess of peoples' lives is in favor of [insert something bad].

I actually want to save people from the mess you are arguing for (without any ability to actually make a REASONED argument; reach into your book of platitudes), and the negative impact it has had on many lives.

When millions of pensioners who have been robbed over the last decade to encourage more and more debt, can't retire because their pension funds couldn't generate the yield an environment of risk-free return has historically offered. ... come back and tell us how fucking caring you are.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess that's what they call the long and the short of it.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Federal Reserve is over 100 years old. Country itself is only 240 years old. That's pretty long-term survival through both prosperity, panics, recessions/depressions and of course frequent changes of political power.

7. cranberry

Sorry, Ragu, but there are real-world consequences that would result from your free-market fantasies.

8. Michael_ Gee

Maybe we'll get the chance to test Ragu's theories in real time. John Allison, former CEO of BB&T, being considered for Treasury Secretary. He has urged the abolition of the Fed, a return to the gold standard and the end of deposit insurance. Gonna be a lot of lumpy mattresses if those policies are enacted.

9. The Big Ragu

Era of Low Interest Rates Hammers Millions of Pensions Around World

#realworldconsquences

Pension funds and insurers at risk from low interest rates, says IMF

#theories

These 3 charts explain the terrifying math behind pension funds’ shortfall

#freemarketfantasies

I can post 10,000 words. Or I can LINK to to things that point out reality -- many more where those comes from.

The conversations on this message board sometimes defy reality. I post something substantative. ... and cranberry gives me platitudes that ignore the world around him or the realities I pointed out.

Of course, it is just going to take an insurance company going insolvent before cranberry recognizes the cause and effect that was PREDICTABLE. I mean slam a door on your finger. ... and then act surprised at what happens to your finger.

But shame on me for pointing it out while it is happening. Because the miserable reality pension funds (all savers) are struggling with, for example, is just my "free market fantasy." They either have been decimated or they have been forced into very risky behavior that is a disaster waiting to happen. But shit, when that disaster happens, the arsonist will ride in on the fire truck promising to fix everything. And cranberry will cheer. But give me another hyperbolic platitude -- you haven't used "saved the world" lately. Or better yet, tell me how caring you are compared to me -- while you encourage something that has fucked over savers and put an anchor on the global economy. ... in order to encourage a mindless debt binge that was predicated on the REAL fantasy -- that it comes without a terrible price.

10. Michael_ Gee

Pension funds were done in by the same thing that's done in many investors large and small, the search for yield at the expense of rational risk assessment. Let's face it, public employees and an ever-decreasing number of older unionized industrial workers are about the only people with pension funds left. The rest of the world has IRAs and such.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I used to work for pension funds for building trades workers. The problem was that the actuaries who forecasted them and upon which benefits were based calculated/anticipated:

rates of return that were too high
    not enough monies being paid into the funds (by the existing workers and new workers) and
    not enough people dying or forfeiting their benefits.

12. Michael_ Gee

All true. But on the other hand, it's hard to see people living longer as a problem for society. This is a viewpoint I tend to hold more strongly every birthday.

Draft saved Draft deleted