1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Conspiratorially-minded people can get like that. Also, he is apparently very sensitive to the fact he lost national popular vote.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Winners win!

CHUCK TODD:

What is Nancy Pelosi's fireable offense?

CONGRESSMAN TIM RYAN:

We're not winning. We're down 16--

CHUCK TODD:

Period? That's what she should be judged on--

CONGRESSMAN TIM RYAN:

Period. I mean--

CHUCK TODD:

Forget legislating, forget any of that stuff, judge on that? Forget fundraising.

CONGRESSMAN TIM RYAN:

Yes. I mean if money was the answer, Hillary Clinton would be president and we'd be in charge of the House of Representatives right now. But money is not the answer. It's message, messenger. And it's about winning. Winners win. I mean we can't have a standard in the Democrat Party that we're gonna accept being down 63 seats. I mean 33 governorships, 31 secretaries of state, 69 of 99 state legislators, Chuck. We're losing all over the board. We've got to start something new and start fresh.

CC: @JC, @TheSportsPredictor

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. I have long doubted the existence of a god that takes interest in our lives but have left open the possibility I am wrong. A djt sex tape would put that possibility to rest

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, well. I tried. By all means, carry on with the fascinating debate about whether it is acceptable to poke fun of a child for possibly having autism. It's a gripping intellectual tussle.

jr/shotglass and SnarkShark like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If money wasn't the answer, the Koch Brother's decision to fund the Republican candidates in the various state legislatures would not have led to a thousand seat gain in the statehouses.

It has worked brilliantly for them. At a cost well below what it takes to influence things on a national level, they have made huge gains at the state level. They've enabled a wave of new talent, and some of those state legislators will distinguish themselves and move up the talent ladder into higher offices.

If the Democratic leadership has noticed and tried to put into motion a similar effort I'm not aware of it, and it certainly has not worked.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Money is an answer, not the answer. And, for example, writing off All Lives Matter but promoting Black Lives Matters does alienate a large block of Americans who vote. Gay rights, abortion rights and most social issues aren't the difference between winning and losing for Dems. It is the economy, stupid. Clinton failed to tell people that Trumps trade policy will cause rampant inflation and low wages. She failed to articulate an counterpart to trump's economic populism

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Concern Troll Dickie is not my favorite Dickie.

I was already done with his idiocy. That doesn't mean I can't question your hypocrisy.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump advisers hit Mitt

Mitt won't be around long enough to get sent for cheeseburgers. He may want to serve as SoS and offer himself to true public service, but all that is happening here is yet another example of Trump's petty revenge. He's publicly crapping on Mitt because he can.

"But some Republicans wondered aloud if Conway's comments might be orchestrated by Trump himself as part of a campaign to embarrass Romney, noting Trump's penchant for headline-stealing public fights. Romney had called Trump “a con man, phony and fraud” during the campaign.

"Attacks on Romney not a solo act," Republican political commentator Ana Navarro, a vocal Trump critic, tweeted. "Trump coordinated payback/humbling."
    In past episodes of Trump camp strife aired on cable TV, Conway often deflected questions about internal disagreements.

But Sunday, she doubled down on her critique — as did former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, another Trump adviser, in an interview with Fox News on Sunday.

“I think there’s nothing that Mitt Romney can say that doesn’t sound phony and frankly pathetic,” Gingrich said, adding later, “Speaking for most of the Trump supporters, while we will support President-elect Trump and whatever he does, I think we would be enormously disappointed if he brought Mitt Romney into any position of authority."

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent. This is one big orchestrated campaign to publicly humiliate him.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The danger of that tactic, of course, is that Romney could then publicly say "I wouldn't work for that jerk or with those other jerks in a million years. They're still bad for America." Not that I think he will, not being what you'd call a firebrand, but that's the risk.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But he took the meeting.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I like Mitt Romney. He would have made a fine president -- and a much better one than our current president.

I think he'd a a fine secretary of state -- and a better choice than Rudy Giuliani.

But, any President has to be sure that his Cabinet choices will be loyal to him, and not work to undermine his presidency.

Do we forget what Romney said about Trump?

Here’s what I know. Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University.

He’s playing the members of the American public for suckers. He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat.

His domestic policies would lead to recession. His foreign policies would make America and the world less safe. He has neither the temperament nor the judgment to be president and his personal qualities would mean that America would cease to be a shining city on a hill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/us/politics/mitt-romney-speech.html

Should we really be surprised that some of Trump's top aides don't want Romney to have the most prestigious job available after he said that?

And, some of Romney's top aides were incredibly vicious, and were the driving force behind McMullin's candidacy.

Before they could ever support Romney for State, I think they'd need to know who he would surround himself with there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.