1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So here's the deal. On Twitter today, the President-elect revealed he's delusional, dictatorial, and stupid. And millions are fine with it, because they figure world catastrophe couldn't possibly hurt white Americans. I'm not kidding about civil war. At this point, the survival of humanity might depend on something really bad happening to Donald Trump. Doesn't have to be fatal. Article 25, Section 4 works perfectly well. I wouldn't love life under President Pence, but I'm pretty sure there would be some.
    If Republicans are behind Trump, then they are the enemies of constitutional democracy and human survival, too. And I'll treat them as same. Civil discourse is over. Snark is over. Take sides and then we'll start keeping score.

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just shut down Twitter. It's all bullshit anyway.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Privatize everything seems to be the end goal of some in the GOP.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh i think it's valuable to know if the president (elect) is a jibbering paranoid idiot.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Joke time is over when innocent Americans start dying.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

January 21?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Obama should prosecute him for treason. If trump can prosecute Hillary for being zhillary

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Even Christmas needs a safe space now 20161127_172854.jpg

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Where are the French-loving posters going to go when a conservative or a populist nationalist is elected president?

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I will give the tool six months in office and then judge accordingly.
    Some part of me wants to believe a lot of this mania is performance. People have already been approaching it like reality television.
    If he just works on the economy and drops the other garbage, he would get more support.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Time to focus on what's real, Wake the fuck up, says journalism professor Jay Rosen ...

Evidence-based vs. accusation-driven reporting

The other day, I had a conversation with a journalist at USA Today that alarmed me. Deeply. More on that in a minute.

Everyone in journalism — from the headline writers and the social media crews to reporters on the front lines and the editors they work for — should know by now that they are going to be tested by the regime of Donald Trump.

Everything they went through in the campaign taught them this. We need them to be ready. We need them to grasp what is at stake. There isn't time to fall into normal routines and slowly wake up to the fact that they don't apply. Winter is coming. They need to prepare.

For example: when Trump makes baseless charges like "I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally," the fact that he feels entitled to say this without a shred of evidence— THAT is the news, not the fact that he said it. But CBS News played megaphone for Trump, headlining its story like this:

'Donald Trump: 'Millions' voted illegally in election. http://www.cbsnews.com/…/donald-trump-millions-voted-illeg…/

UPDATE: After getting heavy criticism online, they just changed it to: 'Donald Trump, citing no evidence, claims "millions" of people voted illegally in the 2016 election.

My exchange with the editor for USA Today was about the same problem. I wrote it up on Storify. My post is called: 'Evidence-based vs. accusation-driven reporting.' As you will see, the editor did not understand the difference when I tried to point it out.

But it's a critical distinction that cannot be ignored. We need journalists who understand evidence-based vs. accusation-driven, but we also need readers and viewers and internet-users who are willing to speak up when the distinction is overridden. (As you can see from the CBS example above.) My piece equips you to speak up like that. Please read it and pass it on by liking or sharing this post. Thank you.

https://storify.com/…/evidence-based-vs-accusation-driven-r…

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    heyabbott and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If I've said it here before, I'll say it again. Someone needs to take away his Twitter privliges until he finishes his veggies, cleans his room, takes out the trash cans AND walks the dog!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.