1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: Attacker at Ohio State University killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This also is how someone like Trump gets elected.

People like YF slobber over any instant video clip or sound bite that fits their world view.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, when an eyewitnesses say they saw something, the media should not report it?

3. Riptide

Quit your fuckin' whining! :mad:

QYFW likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I agree that the immediacy of information on social media could save lives in an emergency. But the counter is, if the information isn't accurate, couldn't it also potentially do more harm than good?

5. Riptide

On the other hand, people who get all their news from TV and the Internet have no right to complain.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a greater-than-zero chance, obviously. And it's a legitimate flip side to the argument. But I'm trying to think of how it could do more harm. Create a stampede? Not likely from people checking Twitter or social media. I'm sure there are ways I'm not thinking of, but it seems more likely to do good than harm, no?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There are other options?

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="bigpern23, post: 4149254, member: 2569"I'm sure there are ways I'm not thinking of, but it seems more likely to do good than harm, no?[/QUOTE]

I know that if a selfie showed up online during a disaster rehearsal, and it gave away locations, safeguards, etc., the reaction would not be good.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone should strongly suggest members of the media be jailed for reporting "false" information.

Oh, wait...

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Some of you need to thank YF for starting this legitimate debate.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, we don't. He throws this shit at the wall constantly and he is guilty of supporting his own points with crappy journalism quite often. That some of it stuck for once was a change in the situation, not his actions.

12. Riptide

* Print newspaper websites excluded for Internet reference. More filters and fact-checking, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted