1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're going to be disappointed, Chef.

Colorado's resume doesn't match Penn State or Wisconsin's. Not too close even.

studthug12 likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not that the committee considers this, but ... all four teams could be from the eastern time zone.

If that happens, we'll have Wisconsin meet Washington in the Rose Bowl for the B-flight championship.

EDIT: As Steak noted, Bama is in the central time zone.

Geometry is hard. Roll Tide!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. LongTimeListener

And I don't think Washington would mind. The Rose Bowl still means something, at least to the Pac-10 schools that haven't been there in a while. It's a wonderful trip. The other fate is getting boat-raced by Bama.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then they get to spend the next year as the "If only they'd gotten in ..." team.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama's on Central time

6. LongTimeListener

Riptide, UPChip, TigerVols and 3 others like this.
  7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bama and the OSU are in. And I think the committee will think long and hard about excluding the winner of PSU and Wisky. To do so, completely invalidates the worth of the cash cow conference championship games. Does doing that cost college football big dollars down the road when they essentially say those games really don't matter in the national championship perspective? To me, Washington's only shot is Clemson losing. Whether that's right I'll leave for others to opine, but I'm not dismissing how the dollar signs play into the decision of who's in the final four.

8. LongTimeListener

Kirk, I think there's a needle to thread there between Penn State and Wisconsin, because Wisconsin lost to Ohio State and had a worse conference record. They're only in the title game because of the imbalance between the divisions.

So I think you're right if it's PSU. But it wouldn't knock me out of my chair to see Wisconsin on there either.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Assuming tOSU is in the playoffs (a safe assumption, granted), you have two spots left among the winner of three Power 5 conference championships. One of those winners of a "cash cow conference championship" game is excluded. Now imagine if a Big 12 school was undefeated and everything else being equal, you'd have Bama, tOSU, Big 12 and one spot for three conference champions. A conference title will be considered, but two title game winners will be rejected if Ohio State gets in. Or—assuming Washington, Penn St and Clemson all win—you take three title game winners and reject Ohio State. Something along the way is being "invalidated" this year or in future years under this format.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who are the 4 you WANT to see?

Alabama
    Ohio State
    Wisconsin
    Washington

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to scrap the divisions and let the top 2 teams in each conference play for its title.

Yeah, you're gonna have to figure out tiebreakers for all the teams vying for that second spot, but at least you won't have to worry about these horribly unbalanced divisions and a powerful team "not winning its division". If they are really playoff-worthy powerful, they'll be no worse than No. 2 and playing in the title game.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That sounds good, but the reality is you'll have rematches most years.

Let's say an undefeated Michigan and Ohio State met in The Game, then met again the next week. Or maybe it's Auburn and Alabama in that situation. Would be weird to have a rematch one week later, and what if the teams split? I guess the winner of the championship game would go the playoff, but it would be odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted