1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED: Attacker at Ohio State University killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know it's a tangent, but ... we don't? Of course, we do. Again and again and again and again. How do you think the vast majority of wrongful convictions occur? I bet if you surveyed the United States citizenry, it would be a statistical heat between whether they consider eyewitness testimony or DNA evidence more reliable. I've been in rooms with prosecutors who just can't get past eyewitness testimony, even eyewitness testimony from total dolts, tainted by suggestive detectives.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. Fair point.

But, the majority of the liberal reporters on this site would criticize these convictions, because they know eyewitness is often faulty.

But, they'll defend the idea of putting a microphone in front of the first 18-year-old, who will stop to talk, after fleeing a building.

There's no vetting of the witness. They have no idea what the witness saw. They have no idea what kind of witness he is; if he's prone to exaggeration, or self-aggrandizement.

And, they'll do it the next time too.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) One has nothing to do with another. One is a criminal trial, sanctioned by law, prefaced on a notion of due process and innocence until guilt is proven. A TV station reporting on something has absolutely nothing to do with that criminal proceeding -- it's a tortured equivalence. So a reporter sticks a microphone in front of someone? It's incumbent on you to decide how believable that person is -- as a viewer. And whatever you decide -- which is likely influenced by what you learn as more information becomes available -- STILL has nothing to do with a criminal proceeding in which someone's freedom or life hangs in the balance. When you turn on your TV and there is live reporting from the scene of some event, you are not a juror deciding on someone's freedom or life. You are a person being given information as it becomes available.

2) This world of "a TV news organization "vetting" everything before airing it is nonsensical. When you are at the scene of some news event that is unfolding right in front of you and you have a camera, you broadcast what is happening. Why would anyone apologize for that? Just because something gets on the air, doesn't give it an imprimatur of truth. In your example, it's simply one person saying something with a TV camera in front of him or her. There is nothing to defend about putting that on the air. You go with what you have as things unfold. It's breaking news. Otherwise, people can live in the dark waiting for a jury trial and a full hearing of evidence before they ever get a sense of what is happening in the world. Maybe we can start a ministry of truth to "vet" everything to your liking.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Not to talk about the actual incident or anything, but I did notice the usual Internet comments about how more concealed weapons would have been great in this situation.

Of course, people did not seem to know the cop was not a deranged shooter, but by all means, let's have more people with the ability to open fire.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You really sound clueless here.

I covered this sort of shit for a long time - I was more than capable of determining how credible any given witness was before I asked him/her to be interviewed.

And, by the way, the alternative to what you're complaining about is often to report nothing. I'm guessing you'd find a way to complain about that as well.

HanSenSE and SnarkShark like this.
  6. YankeeFan

So, the reporter has no obligation to even attempt to ensure that what he allows to go out is truthful? Really?

Let me ask you this: in other breaking news stories, that have lasted longer, we've seen amateurs tweet out what they've heard on a police scanner -- things like a name or description of a suspect. I'm thinking specifically of the San Bernardino shooting.

And, we've seen these tweets get widely shared before the information contained in them was either confirmed or proven false.

In these cases, we see professional journalists tell people not to share what they hear on the scanner. That scanner conversations aren't always factual. That the gathering of information includes rumors and false leads that should not be shared until confirmed.

And, so, we have a disconnect.

Scanner conversations are information that could be shared during a breaking news story. If it's not the reporters job to ensure the truthfulness of these conversations, why don't they broadcast the contents of them?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Professionals are allowed to get shit wrong.

8. YankeeFan

Reporting on the incident at Ohio State yesterday:

Weapon: gun, reported immediately.

Number of people involved: Multiple, reported shortly into the story, based on eye witness reports. Photographs of students in handcuffs were used to bolster this report.

Suspect's name: took hours, and came from police sources.

Motivation: way too soon to speculate.

LOL. great job guys.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I ask w/ genuine interest: How exactly were you able to determine this?

10. YankeeFan

Which people? Wasn't the cop in uniform?

If so, the people who saw what happened would presumably know that he was a cop, vs. the people who only heard gunshots, and may have been mistaken.

Seems like a lot of yesterday's "eyewitnesses" were really "earwitnesses".

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

More like errwitnessees!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted