1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

That was a joke. I meant to include a second quoted post that listed some more teams.

Batman likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

USC would beat the Browns. And the Cubs. And LeBron.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If Michigan, with losses in two of their last three and a pissy pants cry baby of a coach, make the playoff I'll watch a fucking Bar Rescue marathon before I watch the playoffs. If you want to say conference championship games don't matter I'll play with that. But these fucking dickslaps were third in their division. Come on, man. At least pretend like you have some objectivity.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sorry 'bout that. I lost track of who was advocating for USC in the playoff. And, as an LSU alum, the 2003 "championship" that they won because the AP voters decided they wanted to try to blow up the BCS still pisses me off.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This is a highly silly metric. With schedules the way they are, it's another way to say they're 10-2, but to discount 2/3s of the schedule to do it.

It's also kinda pointless to rate wins based on what the ranking was at the time. Texas has a top-10 win for beating a 4-8 team, Cal a top-11 win for beating a 5-7 team.

6. dirtybird

As a fellow alum, I think UW fans are by and large happy with a high floor. Let's be honest, the state isn't going to attract a ton of non-region talent. It's fucking cold. The fact that you can set your watch by 8-plus wins and a trip to the dance, that's just goddamn excellent (Shoot, they've had fewer than 8 wins once since 2004, a 7-win team that had Bert on the hot seat. The only other time they missed 9 wins in the run, they went to the Rose Bowl).

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That gets your coach fired in the SEC.

8. dirtybird

Yep. It's warm there.

On that subject, the Tech TD to send Kirby Smart's UGA team to 7-5. Beauty.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You're dead to me.

dirtybird likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Someone posted a link about how Navy winning (and Western Michigan losing) could throw a wrench into the whole bowl selection process, because a "group of 5" team has to go to the Cotton Bowl and they'll need to wait to see if the Middies beat Army.

While that's probably true, imagine the following scenario: Western Michigan loses tonight, then Navy loses Saturday. Who goes to the Cotton Bowl? The Mountain West champ, who could have three losses? A Boise State team that couldn't win its own division? Houston or Temple?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Simple. USC sends half its team to the Cotton, half its team to the other bowl, wins both by 30 and is voted the Best Team Evah!

I Should Coco and doctorquant like this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the flight I'm about to board out of LAX is any indication, we are looking at a heavily pro-Washington crowd tonight in Santa Clara. I've heard speculation about a surprisingly full stadium too.

Draft saved Draft deleted