1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So basically they are going to look for any excuse to put Michigan in.

I'm not sure I buy that, but I get the thought process. Ultimately, and unfortunately, I expect it to be very chaos-free: Bama, Buckeyes, Clemson and Huskies, not necessarily in that order.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Washington is 12-1, played 11 power-conference opponents, won the championship game of a power conference, over a top-10 opponent, by five touchdowns on a neutral field. In no universe should they not be a top 4 team.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm basing my impression on the latest selection show. The committee chair went out of his way to explain to the world how little difference they saw between #4 Washington and #5 Michigan. It left me with the impression that Penn State and Wisconsin weren't even part of the thought process.

I assume Washington's win put it over the top, but their hard-on for Michigan must be accounted for. ... That said, the logic would not support Michigan jumping past Washington if Washington already ranked ahead of them and then fared better against a common opponent. But the committee could build a case for Penn State over Washington.

The committee chair on Tuesday specifically noted the questions about Washington's schedule. When your OOC opponents are Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State, you buy yourself a lot of trouble in that regard.

4. micropolitan guy

The committee chair on Tuesday specifically noted the questions about Washington's schedule.

They also played nine conference games. That ninth conference game is equivalent to the best OOC game played by every SEC, ACC and Big Ten school that played just eight conference games.

So pretend they played eight conference games, and their out-of-division conference game against either Utah, USC or Colorado was an OOC game. That makes their OOC schedule more than strong enough.

They won't come out and say they don't want a West Coast team in there. But they continue to look under every rock possible for a specious reason to exclude one.

Michigan lost to an 8-4 team that couldn't beat NDSU at home. Buh-bye.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Because they won't put either one of them in the Final 4 in front of Michigan.

6. LongTimeListener

Big Ten teams play nine conference games. Penn State still put Temple (9-3) and Pitt (8-4) on its plate. Michigan had Colorado (10-3) and a couple of other teams that at least are OK in Central Florida and Hawaii.

If Washington plays a quality opponent, are they 12-1? Who knows?

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

And if we all understand context, we're fine. If you beat a team that comes in 8-3, you beat an 8-4 team.

8. micropolitan guy

Who knows?

Exactly. Who knows? I do know that what could happen, did happen. Washington went 12-1 and won the championship game of a power-5 conference by five touchdowns, over a top-10 team, on a neutral field. That's good enough, in any universe, unless there is a specific agenda to keep them out.

9. LongTimeListener

I'm OK with them getting in.

I also see the logic in saying "Sorry, play someone better than Rutgers."

If Penn State had played Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State as their optional games, we aren't having this conversation.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Instead Penn State gets to play Rutgers and Maryland as part of conference play to beef up its record.

11. LongTimeListener

Yeah, and Washington plays Arizona and Oregon State. It evens out.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Gundy looks like a damn fool. Nevermind the mullet. He has his jacket tucked into his sweatpants.

Draft saved Draft deleted