1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not often that I ground arguments in the "lump of labor" fallacy, but here goes ...

In any given time period there are only so many FBS scholarship slots available. Some of those are going to come from Penn State, which means that no matter what some kids are going to wind up playing there. And if by those dynamics my son wound up wearing that laundry, you bet your ass I'd cheer for it. You could call me morally repugnant for doing so ... but you'd be stupid just the same.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I still remain staggered that people STILL hold the opinion that had the tragedy at PSU happened at any other football factory, that the dynamics would have been ANY different among administration or fans (blind eye/denial/rally of support). Like Alabama fans would forever give up their crimson laundry devotion if Lane Kiffin turned out to be a Sandusky and Saban didn't want to be bothered with it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was just about to say the same thing. Every college sports fan base is nuts. Places like Penn State, Notre Dame, and Michigan are particularly grating, though, because of the sense of moral superiority.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We don't have any other parallel, but I'd like to think I wouldn't continue to worship the legend and distort the truth about what my Paterno-like figure had done or not done. Don't know if the rest of the fan base would follow me on that, I guess.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, at least we can say that judgment comes from an expert on the phenomenon. :)

You'd like to think it. That's what everybody says. Well, you know what? You don't know.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I can still hate them because i find Franklin to be a dirtbag though, right? I actually find them more detestable now under Franklin than I did under Joe. paterno had that fake morality hung on him. James couldn't care less.

They did have a great season though. They also had a pillow soft schedule. I predicted 9-3 preseason. I didn't expect them to beat OSU or Michigan State to be hot dogshit.

Filing: Franklin contacted Vandy case victim

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is bullshit, yes, some of us do know.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No. You like to think you do. You can stay warm and fuzzy in your moral superiority.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed. If and when that happens you can call out their fans for the same thing.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In what way have I ever expressed moral superiority? Intellectual, for sure.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bullshit. There is nothing in sports that would make me defend Paterno like you did for years.

You once argued you werenot sure if you would confront a coworker if you knew he was diddling kids.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya know, I know shotty is an easy target with PSU, but he did admit months ago Paterno probably did know more than he initially believed and shares some responsibility. I dunno what the hell more you want here.

dixiehack and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted