1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14: Still no dumb title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 5, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The Patriots did the cheating and engaged in the two-year battle.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As a Steelers' fan, I've been calling for an investigation from the moment I heard about this. Given how the league handled the issue with the Patriots, it has to investigate this complaint as well.

That said, an accusation is not evidence and Brady and the Patriots were punished as much for how they responded as they were for what they did. Let's see if the league mishandles this one and how the Steelers respond before we assume anything.

If the league leaves it at the statement released yesterday, then there is definitely room to complain. That simply wasn't good enough.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Show me the proof that the Patriots cheated. Go ahead, I'll wait.

It doesn't matter how they handled it. You can't punish without proof, and the NFL never had any. This Steelers situation, from the outset, looks extremely similar. Yet I don't think Chris Mortensen will be putting out another bogus tweet, citing sources. That was a witch hunt from the start, and ultimately, an embarrassment for the NFL. They don't want to go through it again, and they won't, further losing credibility.

Rhody31 likes this.
  5. outofplace

On a more positive note for Pittsburgh, the victory yesterday gave Mike Tomlin 100 in his career. I heard on ESPN this morning that the Steelers are now the only franchise to have three coaches reach 100 victories. It is just another sign of the stability in the organization that it was their current coach and the two predecessors, Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. Of course, that is a sign of success on the field, but it is also patience during rough stretches for an organization that has had only three head coaches since 1969.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They also have had the patience to see how each of multiple rape accusations against their star quarterback have shaken out, which has been helpful to their success, as well. Definitely a model franchise.

Rhody31 likes this.
  7. outofplace

The evidence was provided all over the place for a long time. You won't accept it. The debate of the Patriots' guilt is beyond pointless now, but at least you could have the sense to concede that the Patriots made things worse with their handling of the situation.

8. outofplace

Never said they were in that area. The Steelers have a disgusting history in terms of off-field behavior and steroid use.

Regarding Roethlisberger, the Steelers said all along they would accept the league's discipline regarding the case in Georgia and they did exactly that. There was one other accusation and you should do some research to understand why the Steelers eventually ignored it.

The one accusation is enough. Roethlisberger showed himself to be a bad guy. James Harrison has done the same thing, though with a different type of offense. I have no problem criticizing them and other players on the team and the Steelers' willingness to put up with a great deal of bad behavior as long as guys can play.

Pro sports teams employ bad guys if they can play. In other news, the sun rose this morning.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent article in today's Globe (I get dead tree, so no link) on how a significant percentage of Pats' season ticker holders sell/give away tickets for Monday and Thursday night games because it's just too much of a hassle, with traffic being so bad that fans from places like western Mass. and southern New Hampshire have to leave work in midafternoon to make kickoff and don't get home until 2-3 a.m. Good for them! It was a horror in my time, too, but at least I was getting paid for my troubles.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I already have heard Cowboys fans on talk radio saying they need to bring Romo back.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My uncle has had season tickets since they played in Schaeffer Stadium and he's that way now, too. He rarely goes to the night games anymore, usually giving the tickets to my cousin or selling them at face.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

There is no evidence. If you can find it, please post it. Again, I'll wait.

The only thing the NFL had to go on, and the only reason Goodell acted on Article 46, is the destroyed phone. And because someone actually tried to fight back against The Shield. That's it. And that garnered a four-game suspension, the same as domestic violence or PED use.

Rhody31 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted