1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not discounting the possibility it's made up, but I saw an interview with him this morning and he certainly came across credibly. He was emotional as he told the story and his tale was pretty much on point with the USA Today account. I know that doesn't mean shit without some verification, but just an observation. The reporting in the USA Today story is certainly lacking.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's kind of an actor by trade, right?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

5. YankeeFan

6. Dick Whitman

The Sabrina Rubin Erdely Memorial Victory Tour.

Read the CNN story. The quotes continue to evolve.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

I kind of think so too.

Still no details added to the story.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Questioned it the minute I saw it. Do 5-year-olds really talk the way the Santa said the kid talked?

Was waiting for all the board pessimists to chime in, but they stayed silent on this one.

10. YankeeFan

I was busy correcting other mistakes!

11. YankeeFan

I'm still catching up, after my heroic work yesterday.

Is the contention that he died in Santa's arms, while he and Santa were the only ones in the room?

"I met the parents and relatives down the hall. I said, 'If anybody feels like they’re going to lose it, please wait in the hall because I've got to be happy and jovial. If anybody starts to cry, please do run out the hallway because I can’t do my job,'" Schmitt-Matzen said.

No one managed to follow him into the room, Schmitt-Matzen said, adding that he didn't want to divulge details of the hospital or the boy's illness to protect the privacy of the family and the nurse who called him.

Boy Dies in Santa's Arms After Receiving Early Christmas Present

Even if paleocare has started, and a do not resuscitate order has been issued, if the kid was still in the hospital, then he was still hooked up to monitors.

No parent is going to miss their child's final breath, and let him spend his final moments with a stranger, even if the stranger is dressed up as Santa.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted