1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: The Cowboys are in prime time again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kickers. Some life. I wonder if Bullock brought the Steelers' extra point playbook with him.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NBC/CBS Thursday contracts go for another year. If you want to make Thursdays work, start a week earlier and throw in an extra bye for teams ahead of a Thursday game.

But the problem is you have to have every team play in these games. So we're stuck with crap-tastic teams that have no business being anywhere near the prime time stage. I'd opt to dump them and only have three Thanksgiving games with those six teams having their byes the week before. And, yes, that means Detroit and Dallas lose their automatic slots on Turkey Day. Rotate the teams.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind as well, though I think health up front will be a larger concern for the Steelers Sunday. Starting left guard Ramon Foster is not a sure thing to return from the chest injury that kept him out last week. B.J. Finney filled in capably, but he is in the concussion protocol. The only other guard they have is Chris Hubbard, but he has been playing nearly 30 percent of the time as an extra tackle/tight end over the last few weeks.

Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave is also still in the concussion protocol.

4. bstnmarthn354

bstnmarthn354 New Member

If Thursday games stay when the next CBA is done, then I don't want to hear any bitching from players. You have the ability to stop it, then do it. Yes, part of the problem is that the NFL insists on showing teams no one has any interest in seeing.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Serious Q, do kickers/punters get a playbook? Or is it just four pages of trick plays and that's it?

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I hear his mother's dog is active in many ways.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably depends on the team. In some cases, the punter is the emergency quarterback, so he might have one for that reason.

Rhody31 likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Teams have plays for different kinds of kick coverage and different situations -- for example, forcing a return to the left or right, pooch kick, onside kicks, etc. -- so I assume they get some sort of playbook.

Rhody31 likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A while back, I was curious about the same question you had after, I think it was Oklahoma, gave their kicker a playbook with one page that said "kick the ball through the uprights" and nothing else.

So I did some googling, and found a couple old NFL special teams play books from the 90s (Bucs and Bengals, as I recall. There was also a Steelers one from then on sale on Amazon) They were playbooks for all special teamers, so I'm assuming kickers and punters got them. They went over all aspects of special teams, kicks, punts, returns.

They were about 75-100 pages long or so and didn't look that difficult to learn, as opposed to a regular offensive and defensive playbook with a bunch of code words. A lot of pages on having good attitude, stats and rankings on yards, goals for each unit, etc.

Rhody31 likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

After never having won in four years of trying, I've suddenly proven victorious the last two consecutive weeks in my 20-person, straight-up office pool. Thanks to my hidden advantage, Cortana:

SportsPicks.io - free NFL picks and other predictions - Weekly picks and predictions based on Bing Predicts algorithm

Bing and Cortana’s picks – Week 14 results
    81% – or 13 out of 16 games were predicted correctly by Bing and Cortana which brings their record to 128 – 80 (61.5%) on the season. With matches over 70% chance they were 100% correct and with matches over 60% it’s 7 out of 8 games predicted right.
    Interestingly enough, as of the Week 11, Bing and Cortana got 48 out of 61 matches correctly – 78.6%!
    It’s difficult to say why but it’s great to see such success rates.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I am at 137 and 134 for the two straight up pools I am in. 128 would put him in a tie for 126th.

I am near the bottom in the spread pool I am in.

Draft saved Draft deleted