1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not unless he misled editors. "Santa" is real. Just perhaps a patholigical liar.

And if you fired the Knoxville reporter, wouldn't you have to fire everyone else who wrote or aired the story with no additional details?

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, YF. See you in 2019.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The difference between this story and "Rolling Stone" is that Erdely let Jackie Coakley fucking start firing on every kid and administrator on UVa's campus and didn't try to contact most of them.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

How about firing the editors who didn't say, "No, we're not running this yet, because it might be bullshit"?

Gator, Ace and YankeeFan like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I feel like people are allowed to make a mistake, particularly one that didn't really hurt anyone. I'm not always as ready to fire everybody as the rest of the world seems to be. The college fan base I wrote to wanted to fire me on a weekly basis.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your mother tells you she loves you, you check it out.
    Santa says a kid died in his arms at a local hospital, you check it out.

Killick and YankeeFan like this.
  7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

One critic who commented on the Knoxville News Herald's Facebook post for this story got the reply "Do your own research. It's not a fake story."

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My point is that people so often go after the reporter in these cases. Editors are supposed to be the buffer on shit like this.

I don't think any of them should necessarily get fired. I've said to writers and I was told by editors "This doesn't feel right, you need to do more reporting" too many times to count. The editors are just as accountable. That's their job.

Gator and Dick Whitman like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I also think the fact that this reporter heard this second hand then was able to reach Santa to "confirm" it probably contributed a great deal. I bet if "Santa" called the guy to pitch the story, the BS detector would have worked a lot better.

But you heard this rumor of this great Christmas story and go through the hoops of tracking it down then you are less likely to throw Santa under the bus by insisting on getting the name of the kid or nurse, etc. And organizations throw off reporters all this time by claiming something is a HIPAA violation so that's normal.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about USA Today's decision to run it?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I have no leniency on this one. If the story is false, because the veteran reporter failed to do basic fact-checking on such a dramatic story, the paper is a laughingstock on a national level.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

I think that's a big reason that Erdely believed Jackie Coakley, as well. People at the UVA advocacy club told her about Coakley's story, and put her into contact with her.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted