1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

An enterprising reporter needs to call every hospital in Tennessee to find out if a 4- to 6-year-old died there in October.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Drudge is now linking to this story:

3. Dick Whitman

Um ... so what?

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, another thing about that local TV "verification": They've now added texts from Santa's friends from around the time it supposedly happened as they offer their support, as proof that it happened. The only problem is none have first-hand knowledge. They're all just reacting to what Santa had told them happened.

5. Dick Whitman

Do they actually show the texts? I don't see them. Just the same thing they had this morning saying they viewed them.

6. Killick

Don't show them, but I'll take their word if they say the saw them. They're still worthless as verification, though.

7. Dick Whitman

Oh, OK. I saw that, too. I thought maybe they had added more. All's silent so far today, other than that TV station's story.

8. Killick

What's their problem with saying "We've ID'd the hospital" or the family or the nurse without saying who they are? Answer: Because they didn't, the only REAL verification that matters. TV hacks.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In related news, I am now hearing the reports of Santa's biggest elf, who headed to New York City to find his long-lost father and save Christmas, also cannot be verified. Sad.

HC and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I heard he had a very quirky and adorable girlfriend.

Ace likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Given how much local news is driven by economics and ratings, what are they waiting for, sweeps? TV 1, Journalism 0.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Anyone can manipulate a timestamp. Just did it right now by changing the date on my iPhone. Change the date and send a couple of texts.

Any social media posts from October about Santa visiting a kid? You'd think an aunt or neighbor would share this.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted