1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Same number of people think Muslim women are routinely being assaulted on the NYC subway in the name of Donald Trump.

That story lost all its steam once it was learned she made it up because she was afraid of her strict Muslim father, who immigrated here from Egypt, and who forced her to shave her head in order to shame her for having a Christian boyfriend, and for becoming too Western.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, it lost all its steam because it had a resolution: She made it up. Why is just the denouement and infinitely less interesting.

I guess you feel compelled to defend Killary Meme Santa because he's on the team, and that's understandable. Do you defend his use of "towel heads," as well?

3. YankeeFan

LOL. I'm not defending Santa.

I'm on team Whitman on this one. I was only late to the party because I was busy explaining the First Amendment to working journalists.

4. Dick Whitman

I just wish someone would prove incontrovertibly that he made this up. Alternatively, I wish he would admit he made it up. I shouldn't really care. It's not like anyone got hurt. This isn't "Rolling Stone" inventing a rape that indicted essentially dozens of college men, which even journalists on this board saw as no thang as it advanced the greater good at the expense of a subculture they generally don't like. But this asshole took everyone for a ride for his own self-aggrandizement, and it's so clear to anyone with critical thinking skills that it didn't happen, that it frustrates me that he, in many ways, is going to end up getting away with it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know I'm playing right into YF's hands with this, but it's the Caleb Hannan, "Correction through Avoidance" method.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

Agree.

Did anyone confirm his military service?

7. Dick Whitman

No journalist that I'm aware of. My brother told me he did and I believe him.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The 75th removed its Facebook post mentioning him.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Interesting. I wonder if that's because the story can't be verified rather than his service not being verifiable.

10. YankeeFan

LOL. I think that's the only confirmation of it that I saw.

11. YankeeFan

The fact that the guy claimed to be a Ranger makes me doubt him.

He's a fabulist, based on his Santa story. And, of course, he isn't just a vet, but he served in one of the most elite units.

Fabulists always serve in the Rangers, or the SEALS, or some other other elite unit.

12. Dick Whitman

Well, sometimes it seems like Rangers and SEALS are more likely to be fabulists than usual. Look at the "American Sniper" guy. There seems to be a "top this one!" culture.

Draft saved Draft deleted